Warning: You Can’t Trust “Reset This PC” on Windows (For Now)

learninmypc

If you reset Windows 10 or 11, your data might not be completely deleted from the PC, which is certainly less than ideal if you’re selling or giving the Windows computer to someone else. Generally, you don’t want the recipient to access your data, but that’s exactly what’s happening.

According to Microsoft’s known issue page, “Synced OneDrive files might not be deleted when selecting the “Remove everything” option when the device is reset.” FULL ARTICLE

Well maybe format and do a clean install.
Well, it's still an issue, and people might not know about this issue. Also, not everyone knows how to do that, as its a little complicated. The first thing they do is just the easiest option and click the single button to reset it. Honestly even though I know how to do it quickly, If I hadn't known this, I would just reset it through windows because it's faster.

Well that's the way you do it. Google it if you don't know how. Google is an amazing tool. You can find out how to do about anything using Google search.

Well that's the way you do it. Google it if you don't know how. Google is an amazing tool. You can find out how to do about anything using Google search.
Not everyone knows that there are other options, and even if you can get easy instructions on the internet, anyone selling like a laptop on ebay are just going to do the thing literally integrated into windows. Most people buying laptops usually don’t really know much about pcs. Microsoft needs to let people know before they reset that one drive will not be unlinked, or just ACTUALLY reset it, completely removing all linked accounts, cache data, anything on the drive. Windows reset option can’t format the drive and automatically reinstall itself. That would be very very scary, and a very good way to construct an unrepairable virus, if that were to exist. All I’m saying is, microsoft needs to fix this, or warn users that they need to unlink one drive before resetting.

Since jb is being a little condescending, let me just say to the op, I see the point of this post. Kudos for trying to give a heads up to those who might not otherwise know.

Since jb is being a little condescending, let me just say to the op, I see the point of this post. Kudos for trying to give a heads up to those who might not otherwise know.
Exactly what I’m trying to say. Thanks for reinforcing my point.

I trying to tell you google search is a beautiful tool and it can tell you just about anything you want to know and stuff you really don't want to know. Formatting is the best way to remove data and that why it does when when you install Windows. I attached an article to HELP.

I trying to tell you google search is a beautiful tool and it can tell you just about anything you want to know and stuff you really don't want to know. Formatting is the best way to remove data and that why it does when when you install Windows. I attached an article to HELP.
What is going to encourage people to search "how to reset my pc" if they see a big button in the settings built into windows. I think it is concerning and I am glad OP posted this.

Back