Water cooling setup "swishing" too much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallabing

I've had this WC setup for 3 months already working fine. I changed the coolant 2 times.

I think I suspect the pump, because yesterday when I turned it on it started to make annoying swishing sounds repeatly. I changed out the coolant, tried to bleed it agian but the sound wont go away the entire time. I did all things like supspending the pump higher , but no luck.

This is my pump
http://www.svc.com/ddplm.html

What does this probally mean from the symptoms?

what are you pumping, distilled water or some special coolant fluid? does the sound seems to originate from the pump?

what can happen is the impeller in the pump will spin too fast, creating bubbles that are making the noise, as well as reducing the pump's efficiency. i've only seen this happen once, and the cause turned out to be the combination of an unnecessarily powerful pump (the rest of the system couldn't handle the flow) and a specialty cooling fluid that was less dense than water.

are you certain that the rest of your system can accommodate the pump's flow specs?

I use distilled water with 25% danger den coolant mixed in.

My setup consist of the black ice 120mm radiator, 3.5 reservior, danger den universal cpu water block, danger den vga block, and the pump.

It's all 1/2" tubing.

have you experienced any noticeable decrease in the cooling system's effectiveness? when did you notice the problem?

have you experienced any noticeable decrease in the cooling system's effectiveness? when did you notice the problem? are you sure that the sound comes from the pump alone and not the reservoir? did the problem go away at all when you flushed the system? are you certain you got all the air out? the only air in your system should at the top of your reservoir.

a "swishing" sound is almost always caused by air bubbles in the system.

when trying to bleed your system... one method that I have found works well when air bubbles seem to "stick" in certain areas (especially in radiators/heater cores) is to switch the pump on and off several times, this helps to push the bubbles.

bleeding is much easier if you're using a reservoir, but the same method should work either way.

wallabing, please post what steps you took to fix the problem so that this thread may help others with the same issue.

cheers :wave:

Most probably pump, could be radiator ,,,,,, or how it goes to the resevoir,,

How is the flow though ,, how are your temps,, any changes since this started,,

gl,

I fixed it be replacing my 3.5 reservior with a 1/2" tee-line with a danger den fillport reservior conected to it with a 3 inch piece of 1/2" tubing.

http://www.svc.com/ddfprw-bk.html

http://www.svc.com/t0-8np.html

The Tee-line and fillport reservior is also located very closely to the pumps intake barb.

I also took the pump out and let it completly dry for 12 hours.

I redid some tubing, filled it and bleeded it and away I go.

Everything has been absolutly smooth since I did this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back