WD Sata drive won't boot XP SP2 on A8N5X

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to get this Western Digital WD3200 Sata drive to boot XP. No matter how I install it, it gives me an error message on bootup. I have tried the F6 install but it won't accept any drivers. I can see the drive in BIOS and in Windows if I boot from an IDE drive. This is an ASUS A8N5X mobo with the Nvidia chipset. I have dled all kinds of drivers, but nothing works. All the websites tell me I shouldn't need a driver if I'm not running RAID. Is this an Nvidia problem or what?

I tried ghosting the image from the IDE after installing a RAID driver, but still won't boot from the SATA.

Any ideas?

There was a HardDrive from Western Digital that I could not get Windows to load on
Sadly it was when I didn't care to write down the WD model or Motherboard model

But if all else fails, try another HardDrive Brand (which I did after about 2 days on it!)

OK, guys, here's the bottom line:
You DON'T NEED to hit F6 and install any SATA driver if you are only running ONE SATA drive! You DO have to do a CLEAN install of WinXP and FORMAT the drive as part of the installation process. Ghosting the installation from an IDE drive won't work, even if you try to do a repair install afterwards. Just do a format and clean install and forget it. It works.

All the websites tell me I shouldn't need a driver if I'm not running RAID
On that computer maybe not
But on some others, Yes
It really depends on what drivers are available to download from the manufacture's support page, and what Bios revision that you are on.

Obviously your computer did not need any Sata Drivers

No matter how I install it, it gives me an error message on bootup.
Unless you do a clean Format and re-install it would seem
CLEAN install of WinXP and FORMAT the drive as part of the installation process

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back