WDS Setup

TheDevopsGuy

Hi,

So I currently have an Archer C60 setup very far away from my ISP's modem and unfortunately it is impossible to pass an Ethernet backbone to it. To fix this I resorted to using a powerline but the frequent network interruptions are a nightmare.

As a change I borrowed 3 Microtik RB951Ui-2HnD and setup a mesh network through WDS and although performance throughput is quite bad the roaming aspect and coverage of the network is great.

First question

If anyone has knowledge can a Mesh Network be setup with different Microtik Router models for example a Microtik Hap ac2 with a Microtik Hap AC lite or if mesh setup is not possible is a simple static WDS system between them possible?

Also

Is it possible to configure something like the Archer C60 to operate with another brand of Routers through WDS even though they are not tplink through using DD-WRT or OpenWRT?

Resorted to here because I don't have a different microtik model to test with my current setup and the Microtik forums is quite dead hope you understand.

Thanks,

TechGamer

Simple answer is yes. You can do a mesh with any Mikrotik products. Complex answer is that you lose 50% throughput per hop. So assuming you are in 2.4 with 20mhz, the real world performance I have seen is never better than 10 - 15 mbps on the remote end in ideal conditions. I think I understand what you are trying to do and perhaps a wireless PTP link would suit your needs better than WDS. Something like a pair of Mikrotik SXTs or an Omnitik with SXTs to bridge back to the gateway.

Last edited:
Simple answer is yes. You can do a mesh with any Mikrotik products. Complex answer is that you lose 50% throughput per hop. So assuming you are in 2.4 with 20mhz, the real world performance I have seen is never better than 10 - 15 mbps on the remote end in ideal conditions. I think I understand what you are trying to do and perhaps a wireless PTP link would suit your needs better than WDS. Something like a pair of Mikrotik SXTs or an Omnitik with SXTs to bridge back to the gateway.

Thanks,

In all honesty all I want is a network setup without the use of a powerline adapter or ethernet backbones as I have no wires patched anywhere and I can't be bothered running a cable through the floors because that's just not pleasant to see.

With the mesh setup I can probably achieve around 4 Mbps on the second Mesh Hop. Quite bad but again the requirements through that part of the house justifies that speed as enough. Now if I involve 5 GHz I don't know how the performance might change as, I would pass Mesh information through 2.4GHz and client data through 5GHz or vice versa.

The loss in performance is always expected. Microtik devices are just too powerful out of the box and ideally I want a network purely running on them.

I see. If this is all part of an in door setup and ethernet is out of the question then Mikrotik mesh is your best option.

I see. If this is all part of an in door setup and ethernet is out of the question then Mikrotik mesh is your best option.
Ye definetly. About the OpenWRT question do you have any clue if I can run wds with other router models if I flash them both to the firmware?

I resorted to using a powerline but the frequent network interruptions are a nightmare.
Hmm; I use this myself and have no issues-- I'm on 120v, 60cycle in a private home. What environment are you in and what might be nearby to cause interference?

Hmm; I use this myself and have no issues-- I'm on 120v, 60cycle in a private home. What environment are you in and what might be nearby to cause interference?

I have no idea, this is a home environment. For wifi purposes I did decide to run an Ekahau scan and the nearby room where the powerline is placed had SNR signals ranging from 12-17dB so there is some major interference going on.

I can take a look at the charts and maybe upload the report too. Most probably its just a 2.4GHz band infestation beneath us as I live in quite a packed apartment environment, apart from that I have several cordless and STB's which aren't helping that situation.

Funnily enough I did decide to scrap the old powerline setup to just utilize the microtik mesh for the past couple of days and I experienced no disconnections in the mesh setup. Also the powerline is now placed on my roof where I have an old pc running some basic PRTG/Freenas configs for my house and they seem stable enough, I've never had a cutoff quite different in regards with the old wifi setup.

Also on the subject of interference I do know that my telephone line/DSL was installed by a person who refuses to fix an issue we currently have in the wiring, the last 3 or so ISP tech's couldn't even pinpoint the "Line Source" as it was split up in several branches and it most probably is the cause which is effecting the middle room.

The DSL should have line filters to all non-internet devices connected to the telephone line, eg: fax and all phones.

couldn't even pinpoint the "Line Source" as it was split up in several branches and it most probably is the cause which is effecting the middle room

yeah, if the DSL input is shaky, you can't blame the powerline device.

The DSL should have line filters to all non-internet devices connected to the telephone line, eg: fax and all phones.

yeah, if the DSL input is shaky, you can't blame the powerline device.

One of the ISP's tech offered to pass a new "line" from outside to my modem to isolate all the cabling, currently I have no issue whatsoever except for that dead room/powerline. Would the new cable fix my problem or since the old cabling will still be in place nothing will change?

Thanks alot for the help btw you guys are great.

Just wanted to update a little on the situation.
The powerline has been cutting once again even though its on the roof it's stable enough for monitoring and such but when I start using the SAN it interrupts guess it just can't handle the data. Its totally the cables though.(I did have a chat with the guy who passed our cables and it seems he quoted "likes to put the cables into different tubes and splits"). I've asked for him to help us with the issue even if I pay him. Long story short don't employ relatives on house wiring or maintenance.

For the time being I ordered an hAP ac and an ac lite and I'll work with those downstairs. On a side note the current mesh system with the RB951Ui-2HnD is a blessing. Only wish it had 5GHz and a little more throughput which is why I decided to upgrade.

cheers all.;)

Back