Webcam Installation Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

southerngq

I recently purchased a Dekcell CPA-1084 usb webcam. It came with the driver and applications CD. I have loaded the driver numerous times and attemted to use the camera. Each time, I get an error message stating, " Sorry, you have no video capture hardware". For some reason, my system will not recognize the driver for the camera. For the webcam to be such a simple item, this is a very aggravating problem. How can I get my system to recognize the camera and successfully instal the driver? Thank for any help you can give.

No USB drivers are needed with many USB devices including cameras. Delete the driver and clean your system using free CCleaner, Glary Utilities and Malwarebytes. Plug in the camera and see if it is properly detected

" Sorry, you have no video capture hardware".

That specific message tends to indicate the camera hardware itself is not being detected and/or identifying itself correctly
>> Does your web cam come with a power cord? if yes, be sure it's plugged in (even if it's optional)
>> Look in Device Manger under USB devices. Is unknown device listed? (you'd only see it listed while USB cam connected to port and is unrecognized). Rt click the unknown device and Uninstall
>> Are you plugged directly in the computer's USB port or connected via a hub?
==> Try shutting down computer
==> Unplug ALL your usb devices then power up computer
==> If web cam has AC adapter, connect it. Then try plugging USB cam back into computer... is it recognized now? (Watch for those little "Device detected/Hardware" ballons that appear in lower right along your notification icons)

The Dekcell CPA-1084 usb webcam is very inexpensive ($13) The drivers and applications CD is worthless and not needed at all. Southerngq's computer might have malware infections and it will need to be cleaned after the driver and applications for the camera are removed anyway

The Dekcell CPA-1084 usb webcam is very inexpensive ($13) The drivers and applications CD is worthless and not needed at all. Southerngq's computer might have malware infections and it will need to be cleaned after the driver and applications for the camera are removed anyway
Hmmm....

Are you thinking of getting to picture files stored on a "USB camera?" as in that case you're right. One can use the generic Windows drivers. Because for that case, the USB camera storage device type appears as a USB Mass Storage / type=disk where generic drivers exist

However, i'm not aware of generic drivers to support a real-time webcam (Or at least i've never seen generic drivers to support it). In fact, people are always posting/looking for webcam drivers. So southerngq might also do well to see See How to identify your webcam (and then find its driver)

As if they are trying to install a driver for hardware that in fact is not their web cam hardware, that can also result in one seeing those "No supported hardware" type messages

webcam

Yes, Tmagic is right. This is an extremely cheap camera. All I want to do is take stills. I didn't need an expensive camera. There is no power cord, just the USB cable hooked directly into the camera. The other end is hooked into one of my USB ports on my tower, no hub. I will try the instal without the driver CD. As I said before, this should be a simple proccess. My system is extremely clean. No malware or spyware.

Yes, Tmagic is right. This is an extremely cheap camera. All I want to do is take stills. I didn't need an expensive camera. There is no power cord, just the USB cable hooked directly into the camera. The other end is hooked into one of my USB ports on my tower, no hub. I will try the instal without the driver CD. As I said before, this should be a simple proccess. My system is extremely clean. No malware or spyware.
OK.. well, i'll be most interested to see how your problem turns out as

1) I don't question (or care) how cheap or expensive your device is (that's irrelevant)
2) What I see relevant is that your device is simply a web cam and NOT a camera. The distinction being
>> a web cam can only capture images and send them to your computer
>> Vs. a camera which can both capture images AND save those images on its own local storage. (just like a digital camera does)

The distinction is local camera storage can be accessed from your computer using standard Windows USB Mass Storage drivers (just as though it were a an external USB disk drive - in fact that's exactly how the storage looks to windows). But not the case for your device which is ONLY a web cam that can only send images in real-time to your computer. My guess
>> Drivers are required to receive your web-cam's real-time images (again, i don't know of Windows generic drivers that capture web cam images real-time)
>> And the application on the CD allows your PC to capture those real-time images, display them in real-time on your computer screen and let you "click" to capture any image like a camera and then store them on your computer storage.

/* EDIT */
But please keep us (me) posted.. as would like to learn if my understandings (as described above) prove wrong

Do other USB devices connected work properly? What programs do you use to ensure that your computer is "extremely" clean?

webcam issues contd

The 2 programs that came with the application cd are VP-EYE 4.0 and WebEye. I am assuming that they are meant to handle the images the camera takes. The main program, VP-EYE pulls up a screen where the feed should be, but of course there is nothing there because the camera is not recognized.

The "cleaner" programs I use are:
CCleaner
SuperAntispyware
Malwarebytes Antimalware
AVG-Free 8.5
HiJackThis 2.02

Also, I reformatted my hard drive several weeks ago due to an performance issue.

Cool, you should be ok :D I don't like AVG, but it is a personal choice. A little better PC camera would be of great value to you. I have a Microsoft LifeCam VX-7000

See that is my problem... I only wanted a webcam to take a few snapshots and load them to several websites. A more expensive camera has a lot of functions I will never use. However, I may not have a choice if I can't get this cheap POS to work! lol

LOL

Before you finally give up on your POS (that's your "point-of-sale" device, right? ;) ) remember you have a web cam (see this link, right? and not a camera. You first need a web cam driver and then an app on your computer to capture the frames and save them (just like a camera would)

I'll refer you again to see How to identify your webcam (and then find its driver) to
a) First, determine if your webcam is being detected at the USB hardware level
b) And then check and report its Hardware IDs

If curious, you might also find this post interesting to understand the "grand scheme" behind what i'm telling you. See [post=755153]Plug and Play Overview: How Windows Finds Drivers for USB Devices[/post]

/* EDIT */
You might also do the following to help verify if Windows DETECTS the hardware but can NOT find a suitable driver
  • First make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

question

My system has USB ports in the back of the cpu and in the front of the case. Is there any difference between the two? I have been plugging the camera into the front jacks.

Try plugging into the back USB ports. Sometimes the long USB cables from the motherboard to the front USB ports affect the performance of USB devices

webcam

After numerous times messing with the camera and the usb port, I did get the computer to load the webcam driver. I even got the message that" my plug and play device was installed and ready to use". However, the camera does not show up in device manager or through Msinfo32. I don't get it.

Frustrated

OK the story get stranger. I got the camera to work, without the included driver. I simply hit the camera button and it came on, perfect. I took a couple test pictures, fine. The driver was located in device manager under Imaging devices. Great.
Woops, I tried to take the third picture and the camera will not come on, the driver has disappeared from device manager, and the camera will not come on. Now the message comes up, "a usb device conected to your computer is not recognized"
What the hell. Is this a magic camera......

closed

I have decided to send the camera back. This has just been to much of a pain in the butt for such a simple device. Thanks for the assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back