Weekend Open Forum: Android, iOS, or Windows Phone?

Scorpus

Staff member

These days most people have a smartphone, and statistically speaking it's most likely to be running Android, iOS or Windows Phone. Choosing which operating system to use can often be tricky, especially as they are updated reasonably frequently with new and useful features, and the hardware selection can differ greatly.

So in this week's Weekend Open Forum, we ask you: what operating system is on the smartphone you're currently using? Have you managed to upgrade to a nice new device like an iPhone 6 or Galaxy Note 4, or are you stuck with something older like an old-style Motorola Droid? Would you prefer to be using an OS your smartphone isn't running? Let us know in the comments below.

Personally, as the guy at TechSpot who reviews phones on a weekly basis, I find myself most often using Android. This is mostly because there are so many Android phones on the market, though I've also used iOS and Windows Phone. I'm still not settled on which I prefer; I think each OS has strengths and weaknesses, which is part of what makes choosing quite tricky.

And if you happen to be using an OS that's not Android, iOS or Windows Phone - like BlackBerry 10, Jolla, Symbian, or something else - we'd also like to hear. Sometimes we just can't fit all the options into the title.

Permalink to story.

I changed from Android to WP, I think WP has too much potential and MS just wasting the momentum. For me, I am changing back to Android. Even though I believe fundamentally WP is better OS in security and optimization, yet still it lacks functionality and apps. I believe it's MS fault for not pushing harder but maybe they are just playing it safe. I have lumia 925 and Windows 8.1 doesn't add much, also, with the new OS, it seems they just lowered the standards for app optimizations and momentum in which they were rolling updates and new features. For a geek like me, I am switching back to android in a year or so. I never had an iOS personally but I believe it's elegant but well, it's Apple and a true geek never gets Apple =p

BlackBerry 10. My Q10 easily lasts me 2 days before it dies, and it has convenience buttons for my music... (plus the Hub is has everything I'd check right there)

Using a Windows Phone Now (Lumia 1020) and I might get the 830 for the second phone or the Meizu MX4 Ubuntu Touch version

I have a WP(L1020) and wish Microsoft would let you use picture and transparent tiles for the start menu in W10 like they do with WP8

I currently use iOS...
But I just realized, reading this, when did what phone we used become such a huge freaking deal? I guess it came with the smartphone era... but dont we have better things to worry about than which phone OS is the best? Just use whichever phone you like....

I'm currently using a Nokia Lumia 925. Great Phone and Great OS; however, I do have to agree with comment by the guest. I am annoyed that we still don't have a Cisco VPN client and I have to rely on applications such as teamviewer access my home computer when I have an ASA..

Been a past android user...itching to get a Nexus 6 as a backup.

I have a Windows Phone (Nokia 630) and am very impressed with the speed it's able to run with on such "low" hardware. Have previously owned the Samsung top models up until Galaxy S4 but don't see myself going back to android again and will never pay for any top model again after seeing what a 150$ phone is capable of. Never have and never will try anything from Apple.

When I first read the headline I immediately thought "Trolling for fan wars"

I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised by the posts so far.

Android.

Had a lot of hope for the Windows Phone but MS completely dropped the ball while trying to emulate Apple. Can't be bothered with iOS as it's far too limiting, play by their rules or don't play at all. It's my $600 device, let me do whatever I want to. Rooting is just too much of a hassle.

So that just leaves Android.

Android. switched to Moto X 2nd gen from Xperia Z
Here in India I can see how android helped in providing internet access and "smarphone" features to almost everyone.
I haven't had any iOS devices yet but it is good too, I just don't like the idea of buying a phone with almost same functionality at twice the price of an Android phone (atleast here in India)
WP feels to slow. Its not about hardware, UI feels less responsive because of those animations.

iOS.

I did buy and try the Moto X (2013 edition) and it just was not my cup of tea. I like for things to work simply and I didn't care much for all the custom things Android could do. After 3 months, I gave that phone to a good friend as an early birthday present and went back to iOS. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum for desktop, windows all the way, no macs.

Android for personal (Sony Xperia) and BlackBerry for work (Q10). It's the ideal combo!

I would have to say Android is my choice now. I started with the 3G, then 3GS, then Galaxy Nexus, followed by the iPhone 5, which forced my to "upgrade" back to my Galaxy Nexus. I loved iOS in the beginning but quickly wanted to have access to the file system so that I can store what I wanted where I wanted. I had jailbroken my 3GS to give me that functionality but having to run Debian on top of iOS just to do this left a bad taste in my mouth.

As for Windows Phone I really liked Microsoft's take on the interface. Scrolling vertically is far simpler to use than scrolling horizontally from screen to screen. That said I gave myself the same thing with a different launcher on Android. Another draw for me is Microsoft unifying the code base so as to allow users to run some apps on both desktop and mobile. The one drawback is that the OS is by Microsoft and because of their commitment to being a "me too company" (I.e. oh look me too me too we have a produce like our competition though years to late).

Presently I'm using the OnePlus One and love it. There is something that needs to be said for a company that releases an excellent product at an unbeatable price :)

WP..is the most stable system and runs so smooth and no freeze issues like Android.Lots of potential is coming out..using it's flagship and no turning back

All have their strengths and no one system is better since this would depend on the priorities of the user.

Want the best apps? IOS>Android>WP
Want the best customization? Android>IOS>WP
Want the best security? WP>IOS>Android

When someone asks me what phone to buy, WP>IOS> with Android being a far far 3rd. Android is a far 3rd since only a very small percentage of people care about what "benefits" android brings to the table.

There are all shortcomings too... IOS is pricey, Android is inefficient, WP has sucky apps that are missing features.

Android cause it has many features and if you root it you can use it's full potential, it's also easy to use. WP is fast and smooth but I didn't like the unchangable looks. I think they fixed it now. iOS is too simple and expensive for what you get. it is fast though.

I'm still rocking an old Samsung Rant "feature phone" (my boss says it's from the 1940s), but I do have an Android tablet, so I will probably go with an Android phone if I ever get a smartphone. Windows Phone just doesn't seem to have the selection of Android or iOS, and I have never liked Apple's corporate holier-than-thou attitude and capricious pulling of apps. But they do make some nice phones.

I'm working with an att (zte) avail phone running android 4.1 which went out and is being rmaed after 10 months still guarenteed.. I program android and the free course is being reoffered at coursera.org. It only cost $50 very low overhead.

I had Acer, then HTC now have Nexus. I love Android as far, second choice will be WP, Apple.... Never. :)

Android since 2011 when I bought the S2. I had a ton of hope that Windows phone would've been properly developed by now but that just hasn't happened. As it stands the customization and freedoms of Android are basically the equivalent of how Windows is for PCs except on a phone.

Have used all three. Currently using WP as I am cheap and didn't want to pay for data plan but wanted full offline maps. $50 Lumia 520 gets you full GPS replacement with no data or contract requirement. No major issues with the OS itself but 3rd party apps are years behind in most cases. If I switch to anything it would be android on republic wireless. iOS options are just way too expensive.

Back