Weekend Open Forum: Star Wars or Star Trek?

Scorpus

Staff member

This is a tough question that I was debating with a few people earlier this week: which do you prefer, Star Wars or Star Trek? Both are iconic science-fiction sagas that have entertained countless people over the past 40 years, myself included, so it's tough to say which one is better.

My friend proposed that the adventures of Captain Kirk, and Captains Picard and Janeway in later series, were enthralling and (in the case of the original series) quite revolutionary in the television space. Star Wars was also revolutionary upon its release in 1977 with the first film of many, with its epic scale and memorable characters making it an instant hit.

Both series also have their low points, ranging from several mediocre Star Trek films, to the widely disliked Star Wars prequel trilogy. However, the fact that both franchises continue today is a testament to their general success and popularity among a wide audience.

As for which I think is better, I tend to lean on the side of Star Wars considering it was one of the first science fiction stories I was introduced to. What would you prefer to watch, and what do you like better? Let us know in the comments below, and don't forget to include which series/film you think is the best.

Permalink to story.

Star Trek... easily. I've always been more a fan of science fiction than fantasy. (And before anyone tries to argue that Star Wars is Science Fiction, just because it is in a distant galaxy doesn't mean there aren't swords, magic, and destiny. It has far more in common with fantasy than science fiction.)
That being said... I think Babylon 5 might be even more epic that Star Trek... and I love a little bit of SeaQuest (Star Trek Underwater).

Out of the old movies I would watch either,if it's the newer ones I don't want too waste 10 minutes on Star Wars.

Babylon 5.
When given 2 choices - pick the 3rd option of you're own making

Star Trek... easily. I've always been more a fan of science fiction than fantasy. (And before anyone tries to argue that Star Wars is Science Fiction, just because it is in a distant galaxy doesn't mean there aren't swords, magic, and destiny. It has far more in common with fantasy than science fiction.)
That being said... I think Babylon 5 might be even more epic that Star Trek... and I love a little bit of SeaQuest (Star Trek Underwater).

The term is science fantasy. Anyway, I agree, I've always love star trek more. I remember sitting on the floor in the living room as a kid watching TNG with my parents before I go to bed. I have a special place in my heart for that show.

I love both, don't get me wrong, I just like star trek better.

Star Wars is entertaining pop fiction, with no deeper meaning whatsoever. Star Trek is far more philosophical, that tries to address actual (or even eternal) dilemmas and problems of mankind in a futuristic disguise.

Star Trek TOS. TNG and DS9 were too filled with Hollyweird liberal BS - all cultures are valued and we don't kill the evil prisoners bent on our destruction.

Kirk knew when to kick *** and take names.

Star Wars = Magic. It's not SF; even if you change the F to Fantasy, there's less science in it than in Big Bang Theory.

The Force.....hrummmph

Characters make the movies interesting, independent of universe. As for which is more likely to be accurate in space combat I would say Star Wars. Assuming FTL travel, I think beam weapons are not effective. Warping Space or Hyperspace into enemy is probably the best weapon so not sure if big ships or small ships would be better.

It would have been star wars, but that was ruined with the new trilogy.
It would never be star trek, because you have to count the original series, of the poor meetings of other lifeforms, 2 blokes, in bad make up, and the same desert rock fight scenes that stick in my head. Poorly made zzzfest.
Firefly could of been something.
Think even the BattlestarGalactica Reboot was better than any Star Trek. I did like the initial Star Trek reboot movie wise, but the second one was awful. Too many actors get jobs cause they are " in " or flavor of the month, and get cast over people who are more suited . As was the case with the Bad guy in the newer trek film

Funny, I had a similar bedtime experience with the original Star Trek series - except it was on so late (9pm) I was only allowed to watch it on special occasions. Yes, I was a child of the 60's!

The evolution of Star Trek and follow-ons was a window into the evolution of our culture. I can much more easily count the number of SF "gadgets" from ST that eventually became reality than anything from the SW movie series.

Babylon 5.
When given 2 choices - pick the 3rd option of you're own making

If you notice... I picked Star Trek first, then brought in other options. I believe Kirk would approve of my unwillingness to be bound by a scenario with no opportunity to win.

The original Star Trek TV series
Movies - Original 3 Star Wars movies
First ones are always the best IMHO

Even though I watched Star Wars and Star Trek many times over, I am still a Trekkie and will always be a Trekkie.

I love both tv/movie franchises. I had watched star wars episodes 1, 2, 3 and the enhanced editions 4, 5, 6. I had watched all star trek movies and even owned star trek insurrection VHS.

if I have to vote, the rebooted star trek franchise seems the better movie series so far.

I prefer the darker science fiction of the movie 'They Live'. That plot is probably closer to the truth that we realise.

Star Trek TOS. TNG and DS9 were too filled with Hollyweird liberal BS - all cultures are valued and we don't kill the evil prisoners bent on our destruction.

Kirk knew when to kick *** and take names.

Star Wars = Magic. It's not SF; even if you change the F to Fantasy, there's less science in it than in Big Bang Theory.

The Force.....hrummmph

You're kind of missing the point about Star Trek and multiculturalism. It was a common theme throughout the OS representing Rodenberry and Coon's vision of what the UN could do to keep the peace.

Does it really matter? This is gonna produce one of the most epic comment threads of the Weekend Open Forum in a long time. Great question!

Oh - and I'd say Star Wars for me. Star Trek was too cliche (did the unnamed Redshirt need to die EVERY time they landed on a new planet?) and too filled with social lessons. Like that episode where one guy was white on the left half of his face and black on the right half and the other guy was the same colors, but the other way around and they hated each other for being different. Kirk was like "even though you're different colors, you're really the same. Can't we all just get along?' /eyeroll.

However, Kirk was a bigger ladies man than anyone Star Wars could come up with. And as for the recent movies, Star Trek wipes with the floor with SW episodes 1,2 and 3, no doubt.

Back