Weekend Open Forum: What are your essential mobile apps?

Jos

Staff

Although TechSpot regulars are mostly about desktops -- and all the tinkering, tweaking, customizing, and performance-squeezing that comes with it -- there’s no denying that for most of us mobile devices are increasingly becoming must have items in our tech repertoire, whether for work or play.

But your devices are only as useful as the software they are able to run. We’ve asked about your essential PC software before; now we want to know what are some of the smartphone and tablet apps you can’t live without.

To get the ball rolling here are some of mine:

• Mailbox (email)
  • WhatsApp / Telegram / Hangouts (messaging)
  • YNAB (personal budgeting)
  • Dropbox (cloud storage)
  • Evernote / Drafts (note-taking)
  • Fantastical (calendar)
  • Things (to-dos)
  • Google Maps / Waze (navigation)
  • 1Password (password management)
  • Spotify (music)
  • Netflix / 60Hz (movies and TV shows)
  • Instagram / Tweetbot (social)

Permalink to story.

Have to Agree with Netflix, Spotify, Evernote, and Gmaps.
Additionally:
Cloud Magic (more robust mail client - I use for bypassing corporate exchange security policies)
Trillian IM (Multi Protocol IM client)
Remote Mouse (For lazy changing of Netflix on the couch, etc.)
Teamviewer (Remote software for managing multiple PC's on Android)
Copy (Cloud Service)
Swiftkey Keyboard (Pad Android Keyboard)
Strava (Map my bike rides/runs socially)

Mine is an asus android tablet. after finding "Timely Alarm Clock" I've found an actual use for the thing. There's also "Scanner Radio" to listen to the police scanner in my area and "Tune-In Radio Pro". other than that I've never really found much use for an android tablet other than an addition to my collection of useless tech junk I've accumulated over the years.

1.root app delete
2.Garfield Daily
3.Xtreme alarm
4.Silent sleep
5.Opera Classic
6.iFont
7.Ktweaker app that comes with kernal.

If I run the i9505 google edition rom that will include Nova Launcher and Gravity Box.

1. Most used app ever, and by far the best RSS reader for iOS: Newsify
2. Mailbox for email
3. NYT Now for news
4. Any.do for reminders - hands down the best reminder app.
5. iAliens for Reddit.
6. FB
7. Twitter.
8. Spotify for music.
9. WeatherCube for weather. Pretty nice app.
10. Google Maps for navigation.
11. Youtube app for videos.

My favorite app is my own Stolen app, which emails your exact address to you every time the phone is turned on in case it's stolen. It costs $5, but you can make an additional $10 from google for referring it, according to a techspot article. Work for me. The conclusion I've come to is most people don't download anything but the free apps. My suggestion to google is to charge a minimum of $1 per app, so we can make some money. There are others but they've been hacked. Just promoted this website to 1500 people on facebook too.There have been no responses, so try downloading from this link in your android browser
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.stolen1.stolen

Last edited:
The most used apps on both my iPad mini and HTC Desire Hd are...
Amazon
Argos
eBay
BBC news
Bible
Imdb
Flipboard
Dropbox
Xbmcremote

WhatsApp and my banking apps. Everything else just takes up space as far as I'm concerned. I seldom use anything but those. Heaven knows my phone came preloaded with a whole bunch of waste of time sh!tware which I've disabled. I'd like to remove them altogether but I'm not interested in rooting my phone.
Oh yes I almost forgot, built in Google Maps is a Godsend, far better than my old Garmin.

Last edited:
I like my google maps, Amazon, bbc news and the train line app. Most others I can do without.

I have an app (can't remember the name) but what it does is that you press a few numbers, wait a couple seconds and then you can hear someone talking to you and you can talk to them.

1. Google Maps
2. Viber
3. News & Weather
4. FB

The above I use daily.. a lot. Apart from that other essentials for me are.. (even though not used very frequently)
ColorNote, Mobo Player and CamScanner

Don't own a cellphone, was given a Tablet, given that I have the Wi-Fi off, I use Kindle reader and Adobe Reader. I did turn the Wi-Fi on yesterday and rooted it, so who knows what I will get up to.

I have a slew of apps but I would only say are few are essential: Opera, Gmaps, Gmail, IMDb, Evernote, 8tracks, MLB At Bat and ESPN Streak for the Cash.
Does 8 still count as a few?

I have a slew of apps but I would only say are few are essential: Opera, Gmaps, Gmail, IMDb, Evernote, 8tracks, MLB At Bat and ESPN Streak for the Cash.
Does 8 still count as a few?
If you have to take off your shoes to count them up, then that's more than a few... So yeah, 8 counts as "a few". (Unless of course, you're wearing mittens).

Some which I regularly use are:

Mehdoh
Weave
6tag
Outlook Mail
One drive
Ms Office
IE
LinkedIn

If I happen to be carrying S4:
Flipboard in place of weave
FF in place of IE