Weekend Open Forum: What phone are you currently using?

Scorpus

Staff member

With Mobile World Congress behind us, we're starting to get into phone season. Companies like LG, Huawei, Samsung, HTC and Motorola are all set to release new phones in the coming weeks and months, some of which may tempt you into forking over some hard-earned cash for a new device.

Despite this, many people will stick with their existing hardware because, simply put, it still works and it's still good enough. With that in mind, we want to know: what phone are you currently using? And are you planning on upgrading it to something new this year? Let us know in the comments below.

Permalink to story.

Just a plain old LG pay-as-you-go Tracphone. Even though I'm a tech guy, I find smart phones totally obnoxious. All I want is to make an occasional call and maybe a text here and there. And that Tracphone/program suits that need perfectly. PLUS...only costs me $9 a month. Ha!

I was due for an upgrade this month. My iphone 6 plus 64gb is still the best and im happy with it. So what I did is renew my contract yesterday and gave the new iphone 7 128gb to my wife. A happy wife is a happy life. Now to retire and give her iphone 5s to a relative so we can make another person happy.

HTC10... not likely going to switch, but I'm keeping an eye on the HTC11 and 2nd gen Pixel phone.

Hoping that the next iteration for both will fix a lot of the problem on the current devices.

I upgraded from a nexus 5 to a iphoneSE when they came out. It performs great, good battery life, and a small one handed size.

Hope to get 5 years out of it before needing a new one, and hope apple still makes them, as the android world seems more concerned with making the biggest device possible.

A $20.00 ZTE, a telephone with SMS, same size and thinner than a Weet-Bix, carried for emergencies when away from home, a mobile computer is not what I need or want, too cumbersome. (and expensive)

Galaxy Note II
In the next couple years I might upgrade to the Galaxy Note 4 or 5.
Having great battery life and a stylus are incredibly convenient.

Last edited:
Just upgraded. Didn't want to drop a Grand on a Pixel so I got the Huawei Mate 9 and I'm really very pleased with my choice.

I still have my HTC One M7... I'm looking to upgrade and change service providers by the end of April, early May at the latest.

Windows Lumia 550. The best word to describe it would be 'functional'. The apps that I use most are available, however there aren't many good games for windows phones, so it also helps to boost my productivity. The biggest drawback in the update scheme which gives you an option. You can either restart and update your phone now, or if that is inconvenient, your phone will restart and update automatically in 10 minutes. Pick which one is most convenient for you.

Asus Zenfone 2 (2gb version) with a StraightTalk plan ($500/year).

It's not as fast or as flashy as the flagships but it's more than worth it's price. There is nothing in the midrange market ($150-300) that warrants an upgrade 1.5 years later.

When the next great midrange phone comes out I'll upgrade. A problem with the midrange market is that it's either been stagnant (Moto G4) or else it's called midrange but has flagship prices (OnePlus 3).

I have been using a Droid Turbo II for about a year and I love it. Battery lasts a long time and it has fast charge and Ive never had a problem with it. My wife just got a Pixel the other day but hasnt set it up yet so cant say how that will work out.

I'm tinkering with various CPU, voltage frequencies and such since my T-Mobile Galaxy S7 Edge has been recently updated to Nougat and Root has been achieved now too. For now, it's just the rooted factory rom which is not bad itself but I may try other ROMS and for now, my Knox has not been tripped too, so that's a good thing so far but it makes choosing a ROM a little more difficult if I don't want to trip it. So far, I've managed to go all day with heavy use downclocking the CPU a bit and also the voltage unless I'm playing a demanding game and such. I've seen about 2 hours more of battery life if I'm only watching movies and browsing the web and such, not too bad when the phone already has great battery life. Changing the resolution (neat Nougat feature) so far doesn't seem to affect the battery life so much but I will test it a bit more though. I did used to have a Galaxy Note 7 but I had to return it and I'm using this Galaxy S7 for now until the Note 8 is released since I've been using the Note series since the first generation and I use the stylus a lot for work too. I miss my awesome Note 7....

Galaxy S4 Mini. Much faster than the Galaxy Young 2 I used before, and I can live with the extra size.

Back