Weekend Open Forum: Will you get a tablet this year?

Jos

Staff

When Apple announced the iPad early last year many of us had our doubts on whether the tablet form factor would finally reach the masses. Not only were they trying to squeeze a new category between smartphones and full-fledged laptops, but also challenging the incredibly popular netbook with a locked down device that promised to be the best way to experience the web and didn't even support Flash. Yet tablets took over the spotlight and iPads are flying off shelves.

Building on the success of the iPhone, Apple did a great job marrying iOS with the larger form factor, while offering a competitive price. Today several big-name manufacturers are coming on strong with competing Android tablets, and we expect some movement from the BlackBerry and webOS camp as well. Now that we've had some time to see how the market evolves and get an idea were it's going we want to ask you: will you buy a tablet this year?

I'm definitely interested in getting one mostly for leisure computing, traveling light and maybe dabble with the SDK. But I'm still undecided on the device and platform, so I'm holding off until Apple announces the expected follow up to the iPad to pick something from what's available. Needless to say, whatever I choose, I don't expect it to replace my laptop as my primary machine. What about you, have you set your sights on a specific device or will you skip tablets altogether?

Permalink to story.

I wish. Maybe if I got a new job that didn't underpay me :p 8:25 for a supervisor position...gotta love wal-mart. But I do plan to eventually get one. It's just hard now because $400 for a leisure item it's not in the budget...and Dave Ramsey says if it's not in the budget, don't buy it :p

I'm going to buy a tablet computer, when the IPad came out I wanted a windows one because I wanted to run the software I normally use rather than be restricted to Apple approved apps... but now the Android ones (Xoom, Galaxy Tab 10.1, mystery device Sony is making) and the RIM Playbook are taking top positions. I'm mostly looking for flash compliance and battery life with a side consideration towards 10" over 7"

Still too early (read: costs too much) for me. Maybe after the competition settles down and prices come down while features go up.

Maybe... will definitely be looking. I would prefer a Windows 7 tablet but as its been stated they are all quite expensive. I'm still waiting for more devices to come out but I have several in my crosshairs.

I was considering buying an iPad this month but with Apple charging 30% fees to content providers like Amazon, I'm not shure Amazon will keep Kindle on the iPad. For me, no Kindle on iPad = no iPad. As for the Kindle device, I like the concept of eInk, I just don't think I would like whole books without colours.

Guest said:
I was considering buying an iPad this month but with Apple charging 30% fees to content providers like Amazon, I'm not shure Amazon will keep Kindle on the iPad. For me, no Kindle on iPad = no iPad. As for the Kindle device, I like the concept of eInk, I just don't think I would like whole books without colours.

If you like E-ink and color check out the notion ink adam or other devices utilizing pixel Qi displays. I'd love to copy some info here but you can probably find all you need to know through google.

I'll take a good look by the end of the year and see where things are. I would really prefer to get a good Windows tablet, but I'm not sure if the hardware will be there. If a good Windows one isn't available, I'll consider other options, but will be less likely to buy it.

gwailo247 said:
I'll take a good look by the end of the year and see where things are. I would really prefer to get a good Windows tablet, but I'm not sure if the hardware will be there. If a good Windows one isn't available, I'll consider other options, but will be less likely to buy it.

Agreed. The first tablet i've seen running Win7 was the MSI tablet...and it sucked...BIG TIME! It may be smarter to wait till 2013 for a GOOD Windows tablet. That'll give them a year to improve hardware and what-not. It's a long time to wait, but worth it in my opinion.

The problem is that they are still too pricey and are poor value propositions. They are more like luxury items IMO. I think maybe once the software and hardware catches up to laptop levels of performance is when I'll get one.

Except for entertainment and casual web browsing, tablets aren't for me at this moment in time; and overall a notebook is still far superior option in every respect, until by some miracle this is changed, I wouldn't bother with tablets.

Just sold my wifes old Asus EEE 900 netbook and looking for a replacement. Good 10" tablet should do the trick (definitely no iPad), mainly browsing and little typing planned. Then we'll see how it copes with stuff - might get one for myself.

Tablets definitely seem like appealing devies... but I just can't imagine getting much use out of one. What do you all plan on using your tablets for? And when?

Nope, I'll wait till they glue a proper keyboard to the tablet PCs. Oh wait, they already sell that gizmo, it's called a notebook :).

I'm waiting for the ipad 2 and selling my dusty asus eee hab.

if Ipad 2 doesn't meet my expectations, i'll use the money to upgrade my laptop to a sandy bridge with a discrete graphics.

-apple fanboi

I just ordered a Motorola DEFY, and hopefully this Android phone will fulfill my needs for mobile browsing and the like. I'm also planning to get a Brazos netbook soon (possibly the Acer 522) to replace my old Fujitsu P1510D, whose keyboard has stopped working well. I hope that this combination will solve my mobility needs for the near future.

Unless quad core, SSD and HDMI connexion, on top of b/g/n wi-fi,and should be capacitive Amoled.

Love the Xoom ....if it was around $399 or less the mass market, including me, would seriously consider buying one. The current prices are just to high..Hopefully as more manufactures come out with Tablets the price will come down. Right now the wow factor is the only reason I want one..>Would be cool to surf in bed (really need flash)..Other than that not to useful in my book and defiantly not worth spending $600+. Hopefully most other people will wait and force manufactures to drive down prices. If people start buying a lot of them at the $500+ range the prices will never come down.

Probably not... I have a tablet laptop. and 2 other laptops, 2 desktops... plus an ipod and iphone. I don't have room for a tablet!

On second thought, i may get one. :X

Back