Weekend Open Forum: Your workstation desk chair

Jos

Staff

open forum

For those of us who spend the majority of our working day in front of a computer, it pays off to invest on a comfy workspace. A nice keyboard and mouse, an ample and sturdy surface and a nice monitor might be at the top of your list, but what about a nice desk chair?

Spending $200, $300, or even up to $1,000 on a chair may be hard to stomach but not so much when you consider the average person on a desk job spends ~1,500 to 2,000 hours per year on their butt. Quality is not as expensive when the alternative is being uncomfortable all the time or enduring back problems -- not to mention a good chair will outlast a cheap chair.

In this weekend’s open forum we want to know what office chair do you use (brand/model) and how much did you spend on it?

Permalink to story.

Good timing I just got my Raynor Ergohuman v2 Deluxe a few weeks ago after reading all the glowing reviews. The chair certainly has lived up to the hype for me, it is extremely comfortably. I got it for $570 including delivery from a eBay seller which was a very good price.

Oh WoW cool Weekend Forum topic: I have the COSTCO Chair that's about 3 or 4 years old. I will be reading this with interest as I am in need of a new chair. Chairs don't get the love that other accessories get.

Chairs don't get the love that other accessories get.

BS. I happen to know that a specific Techspot member has had several..."frivolous accusations" made against him by his home office chair. They aren't lacking for attention, evidently.

In any event... I have no idea the make or model of my person prop. What I do know, is that I'm situated at an L-shaped desk. Since accidentally breaking off the right armrest, I find it functions 100% more effectively with this desk configuration.

My recommendation: If you have an L-shaped desk, remove the applicable armrest on your chair to experience maximum efficiency.

Life has become so hard! People were very fortunate riding all day in a wagon train across country. I can't imagine how fortunate they must have been.

I don't care what anyone says, I am proud to sit in my $60 chair. It will likely last just as long as any other chair. I guess the fact that I am not highly overweight makes it easier to sit for long periods.

Life has become so hard! People were very fortunate riding all day in a wagon train across country. I can't imagine how fortunate they must have been.

I don't care what anyone says, I am proud to sit in my $60 chair. It will likely last just as long as any other chair. I guess the fact that I am not highly overweight makes it easier to sit for long periods.

I did have a cheap chair and it was pretty good really. But I did damage my back playing sport and have since required solid lumber support, ohh I am not overweight either ;)

Up until about a year ago I never placed much importance on the desk chair and would just use whatever cheap thing was available. I have since found that a few problems that were stopping me from enjoying the activities I do in my free time stemmed from my cheap chair.

I do a lot of building projects (not the PC kind) and a lot of garden maintenance in my free time. Before the upgrade to the Ergohuman I would often run into back trouble just a few hours into a project as my back was already stiff before I began working. Now I can happily work all day without any problems so the $570 investment seems small and very much worth it.

Anyway each to their own but they say you can’t put a price on health, though my insurance company does a pretty good job of it :)

I have an older Aeron chair I got off Craig's list for 350 a few years ago. It is pretty good except I had to get the new lumbar kit since the old style ripped constantly from poor design. The best part about this chair is the mesh as it gets hot in my office in the Texas summer. Would love to get another design with more lumbar support but 1200 + for those are hard to justify.

BS. I happen to know that a specific Techspot member has had several..."frivolous accusations" made against him by his home office chair. They aren't lacking for attention, evidently.

In any event... I have no idea the make or model of my person prop. What I do know, is that I'm situated at an L-shaped desk. Since accidentally breaking off the right armrest, I find it functions 100% more effectively with this desk configuration.

My recommendation: If you have an L-shaped desk, remove the applicable armrest on your chair to experience maximum efficiency.
In terms of being reviewed is what I meant.

Purchased an 75cm exercise ball for $10 just to see how good it was as a computer chair awhile back.

I ended up using it all the time. It does take a bit to get used to but after that your golden.

I got a herman miller mirra which is kind of like the one on the picture except that one is a Mirra 2. Given the price I think it was a worth the investment given the amount of time I spend on the desk at home, also had the same chair at the office.

I have a SPACE® Air Grid Chair. Good lumbar support, adjustable arms that I can get low enough to get out of my way when I don't want them, and a mesh back, which is very nice in the summer. It runs about $250-270. I tested a lot of chairs before I found this one.

On a tangent, I found that the best way to test chairs is to do it after a day of hard physical labor (yard work, maybe) when my muscles have turned to useless jelly. If your back and trunk muscles are tired, there's a better chance you're going to know whether a chair provides good support and reasonably decent posture the moment you sit down in it. Disclaimer: I wouldn't use this technique if I were trying out an exercise ball. <grin>

I have a Global Obusforme 4430 that I bought in 1990 for $650. Best investment I ever made. I've had no back issues after almost 25 years of heavy usage. I've had to have the chair recovered a couple of times and it needs it again. I've looked at replacing it a few times but I haven't found anything as comfortable as it. The fact that you can still purchase the same model today and it has changed little since I bought mine says a lot.

Mine is cheap chinese technology form office max that is only five years old. It's missing a wheel and I nearfly fall over every time I sit in it. Along with the walmart poloroid hi def tv that's also five years old and broken and the att android phone that broke after ten months I guess I'm back to low tech. Emerson standard def tv lasted twenty five years.

I use a Herman Miller Aeron Large with Head Rest (Amazon for this). Honestly I'm mixed about it. I've used it for about 3 years now and I really think my butt wants something different. And if I lay it all the way back, you sink in enough to cause the lift mechanism to drop which sucks. I love the tilt forward feature and being as I'm in a wheelchair most of the time, it's a good chair. But I think I want even better.

I use a 60$ walmart chair :(. Its awfully squeaky, I'm afraid to spray WD-40 on it again, I don't want to stain the carpet.

I also have a box I kick my feet up on, I think it helps me stretch out.

I did a Google search for, "cheap plastic chairs". But alas, I couldn't find any that were, cheap, broken, or old enough, to qualify as mine. But then, I'm an old cheapskate who thinks an i3 rig qualifies as, "a real computer"... All I can say to this is, "thank Ikea makes those cheap velcro-on cushions, or I'd be completely SOL...

That said, my back almost never bothers me. But, the big problem with one of my chairs is, the seat is almost cracked in half, and it snags me sweatpants, forcing them to stay with the chair, and me to be standing in the middle f the living room, sans britches. (*) :captaincrankyavertshisowneyes: (**)

While the back hardly ever bothers me, my head sort of makes crunching noises when I try to turn it, after staring at a monitor for prolonged periods of time. I'd lodge a formal complaint about this to whomever, but I think the warranty expired on me decades ago.

(*) It's OK kids, I live alone).

(**)
I guess there's no point in starting a thread to get an avatar for that, is there?

Back