Weekend tech reading: Micron CEO dies in plane crash

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Micron chief dies in crash Steven R. Appleton, chairman and chief executive of Micron Technology Inc. and one of the most prominent figures in the semiconductor industry, died Friday when the high-performance airplane he was piloting crashed at Boise, Idaho's airport. The death of the 51-year-old stunned Micron, the well-known maker of memory chips based in the same city, and comes at a time of rapid change for the company and its industry. The Wall Street Journal

Micron Technology names Durcan CEO Micron named Mark Durcan as its chief executive yesterday, replacing Steve Appleton, who died on Feb. 3 after crashing an experimental plane. Durcan, 51, who had been planning to retire in August, was appointed by the board of Boise, Idaho-based Micron after agreeing to fill in temporarily. Robert Switz will become chairman of the board, and Mark Adams, head of sales, was named company president, Micron said in a statement. Bloomberg

Where to watch the 2012 Super Bowl live online Super Bowl weekend is upon us, and this year, the big game is going to be streamed live online for the very first time. Who wants to see the game between the Giants and the Patriots on a tiny laptop screen, you might ask? Cord cutters and other folks without cable or even a TV set for one, but the live stream also comes with some extra perks that the TV broadcast won’t offer... GigaOM

Video game addiction: Does it occur? If so, why? "Experts," especially those quoted frequently by the media, are constantly warning us of dire dangers to our kids. What usually grabs our attention and instills fear in our hearts are the case stories they present. Some child, somewhere, was out playing without a parent nearby and was abducted and murdered. Therefore, anyone who... Psychology Today

You will never kill piracy, and piracy will never kill you Now that the SOPA and PIPA fights have died down, and Hollywood prepares their next salvo against internet freedom with ACTA and PCIP, it’s worth pausing to consider how the war on piracy could actually be won. It can’t, is the short answer, and one these companies do not want to hear as they put their fingers in their ears and start yelling. Forbes

[Some] Ubisoft games won't work next week Several of Ubisoft's biggest titles won't be playable as of next week thanks to a server move by the publisher and the restrictive DRM that was used in their development. This isn't just multiplayer either. Because Ubisoft thought it would be a smart plan to use always on DRM for even the single player portion of games like Assassin's Creed... ITProPortal

Muslim man: My workplace quip made me a terror suspect A casual text message to work colleagues encouraging them to ''blow away'' the competition at a trade show allegedly plunged a Muslim man into a terrorism probe. Telecommunications sales manager Saad Allami says the innocent message, aimed at pumping up his staff, has had devastating consequences on his life. The Canadian Press

The evolution of the businessman (infographic) Business is so easy, even a caveman could do it – and he did. What was once the business of surviving has evolved over the years, but with one underlying similarity -- the best will outlast the rest. The infographic below demonstrates significant eras of business by reintroducing prominent characters throughout history... VentureBeat

Facebook is using you Last week, Facebook filed documents with the government that will allow it to sell shares of stock to the public. It is estimated to be worth at least $75 billion. But unlike other big-ticket corporations, it doesn’t have an inventory of widgets or gadgets, cars or phones. Facebook’s inventory consists of personal data -- yours and mine. The NY Times

AT&T starts throttling unlimited data users after 2GB of monthly usage In October, AT&T announced that they would start throttling data usage amongst mobile Unlimited Data Plan users. While AT&T no longer offers an Unlimited Data plan to new customers, many of the original iPhone purchasers are still grandfathered into that plan. MacRumors

Permalink to story.

I'm from Montreal, QC. The police here has a reputation of overreacting to everything, a month or two ago they killed a homeless man for nothing. Myself I was walking on the streets and saw a violent fight between a man and 3-4 others, I reported it to the police not 2 min after and they wanted to charge me because I was ''smiling'' all that time (I'm quite cheerful in life). They think they are in Texas !

Well, Micron CEO's death should be a final warning for those infringing on Apple's trademarks. On a serious note, death never a good thing, but guy was probably in good shape, died fast, doing what he loved. What to want more from the grim ripper?

Guest said:
I'm from Montreal, QC. The police here has a reputation of overreacting to everything, a month or two ago they killed a homeless man for nothing. Myself I was walking on the streets and saw a violent fight between a man and 3-4 others, I reported it to the police not 2 min after and they wanted to charge me because I was ''smiling'' all that time (I'm quite cheerful in life). They think they are in Texas !

Man, I'd have gotten 20 to life in your case. I'd been on the floor laughing my *** off.

Back