Weird behavior - networking

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post so please be gentle. I am running Vista Premium on a fairly new core2 duo system and this morning I noticed that the connection icon in the task bar has the old red x on it. Checking it I found that I get a notification that "Connection status unknown" and "Server Execution Failed". Right click on it and try and do anything like view networks or repair the network if fruitless. It doesn't respond. Trying to get to the network and sharing center through the control panel doesn't work either. I can't get to anything to do any troubleshooting. Event viewer is no help. Virus and spyware scans revealed nothing. Here's the weird part. It is connecting to my wireless access points fine. Both the one at home and the one at work. I am able to get to the internet. I am able to access my routers through the IP address in my browser and I am able to see the ip addresses in the ipconfig at the command line. I did notice that dhcp was reporting as turned off there and it is showing as on in the configuration pages of the router consoles. Probably a virus I'm guessing but am hoping maybe someone has an idea or two on how to identify and repair it. I really don't want to reload the OS if I can help it. I have run and saved a hijackthis logfile if that would be helpful to someone. It's pretty greek to me as I am not very knowledgeable of processes, services, and which ones are right and which are wrong.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I actually found a solution for this problem through more research so I thought I'd post it myself. It seems that this is a known problem for vista and has to do with adding NT authority to the administrators net local group. Don't ask me why. Anyway, open a command line in an administrator user account and type

net localgroup "Administrators" "NT Authority\Local Service" /add

and execute the command. Reboot and magically, the red x disappears and all works as it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back