Weird problem with wireless adapter

sumeshmd

hi guys,

i have installed a usb wireless adapter to my desktop. from that moment the wireless network icon will appear and disappear at the task bar. if i check the device management and take the property of the wireless adapter first it will show "the device is working properly" , then " there is no driver installed for this device"... this is happening in seconds. the wireless adapter realtek rtl8197 made by alfa. i tried with another adapter which is also showing the same thing.

my system is amd sempron3000, with 1gb memory. operating system is windows xp. what could be the problem? xp or board.

Try removing the USB adapter. Uninstall the adapter driver/software bundle. Restart the PC. Install the USB adapter driver/software bundle BEFORE plugging in the USB adapter. After installing the driver, then insert the USB adapter. Let Windows find the adapter and install the driver to it. See if that helps.

thanks mailpup for replying...

sorry to say that i have done this already before posting this.. windows is finding the adapter and installing it properly. after that only this "appear" "disappear" thing is happening...

It might be something wrong with the board as you said. In the Device Manager are there any devices with yellow symbols next to them?

no...everything is fine.... if we take network adapters then device manager will start refreshing...

sorry.. i mean in the device manager, if i expand the network adapters,by clicking the + sign,then device manager will start refreshing...

Do you have other USB devices plugged in? Try removing them. If the problem stops, plug in one at a time. If the problem reappears, there might be a conflict with that device.

BTW, when you uninstalled the adapter drivers before, did you do so through Add or Remove Programs? If not, you should.

there is only one usb keyboard.. i tried that ..even i tried removing the mouse which is ps2 though. still no luck. and there is no pci card also. only one pci express graphics card.

i ahve removed through add/remove only.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is reinstalling the motherboard chipset drivers which should include the drivers for the USB controllers. If that doesn't work, it might be a hardware problem such as the motherboard itself as you already suggested. Maybe someone else has some ideas.

If the PC is custom or self-built, go to the motherboard manufacturer's website for the latest drivers available. If it was made by a major manufacturer such as Dell, HP, Gateway, Sony, etc., go to the manufacturer's website for drivers.

Back