Western Digital 1TB external HD malfunction

I really need some good technical help. I have many important files from work on my Western Digital 1TB External HD (model WD10000H1U-00) purchase 6months ago. It is connected to my Toshiba Satellite L505 (laptop) 64-bit OS.

I was satisfied by the external HD, and purchase a second one (2TB - model WDBAAF0020HBK-NESN) 2 days ago. I began to transfer large files form my original 1TB to my 2TB for permanent records. The USB connector was accidentally detached during transfer, and now all my original on the 1TB model files will not open. Files that transferred are fine. But many others are not not opening.

Original folder names are intact, albeit sub-folders and any contents therein have strange marking, not original names.

1. I tried "Restore Previous Version" option... and it did not give me a choice/option to restore from.
2. I ran "Error Checking" and it did nothing.
3. I ran "Defragmentation" and it also did nothing.

Now, each time I try to open the folders, I cannot see contents and I am getting the OPEN WITH (PROGRAM) window, as if the file extensions were lost. Which is strange, because all contents are different types of files such as word, excell, pictures, movies, etc. So, I cannot really choose an OPEN WITH option.

Files seem to still be in the HD as it shows 23GB free and 931GB used.

HELP!! How do I recover my files? I really need help, this is vital information I just cannot lose. Please someone help me.

First Rule is to Copy and Paste and then Delete.
having said that you probably need a recovery software. I haven't used Recuva, but it gets good reviews and believe is free.
I have had good success recovery jpegs (my wedding pictures actually) from a formatted and reinstalled OS using Active Undelete. http://www.active-undelete.com/
Highly recommended.

Back