What’s this mean?

By learninmypc · 20 replies
Dec 26, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. Even using headphones, I hear no sound so I went into device manager & saw 2 yellow question marks in the “Other devices” /Multimedia Audio Controller. If this means no sound card, it’ll stay that way. Just curious. TIA

2. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus Stone age computing. Posts: 3,532   +944

Without more detail, I would guess it means “Other devices” /Multimedia Audio Controller. is not performing properly. Could be driver, could be hardware.

I would unplug speakers and "remove the device" in the Device Manager, then power cycle the system to see if it can rediscover the “Other devices” /Multimedia Audio Controller using PnP.

3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 8,370   +543

Ok, no speakers other than the headphones I tried. I forgot to mention I already uninstalled ,rebooted & still nothing.

4. learninmypc

Did as you suggested, again, still nothing so I'm not going to pursue this because if it is no sound card, my XP Pro don't need one. Thank you :)

5. Montana

Montana TS Enthusiast Posts: 35   +15

Have you tried updating the drivers?

6. learninmypc

Yep, not found.

DavidBailey likes this.
  7. Montana

Montana TS Enthusiast Posts: 35   +15

Are you using USB headphones or ones that plug into the sound card? If you can provide your specs it'll make it easier. Thanks

EDIT: Have you gone into the audio settings and made sure what you're using is set as default?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  8. learninmypc

Using regular iphone headphones. If this pc has no soundcard, thats fine with me. This pc was originally a Win Me upgraded to XP Pro.
    According to Speccy, NO audio card detected.

9. MaikuTech

MaikuTech TS Maniac Posts: 774   +140

Bring me a screenshot of those 2 yellow exclamation marks, check the properties for the unknown device.

I agree with montana here, if its a WMe machine from way back, specs would help out.
    https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.82-en.zip
    That should be able to pick up the hardware information.

10. learninmypc

I've tried posting a screenshot but it won't let me. I see no reason to pursue this any further since I had/have no intention of listening to ANYthing on it. With just 2 gb's of RAM, & 186 gb harddrive, its just going to be used for storage, thank you for your input.

11. I hope you listen to this advice on adding screenshots to posts.

I use PostImage Windows App.
    IT IS FREE.

https://postimages.org/

https://postimages.org/app

If you set it up right you can upload your image & copy the Direct Link address to use here.
    READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.
    IT IS EASY TO USE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Providing screenshots really helps people trying to help you fix your issues. :)

With PostImage you don't need to find an image hosting site.
    It hosts images itself.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
    Cycloid Torus likes this.
  12. learninmypc

I fully understand what you're saying, but if you have read any of my other XP Pro threads like this first one , you might understand . :)

13. I was just trying to help with posting screenshots.
    Nothing else.
    Many are ignorant of their problems.
    Listening to them trying to describe their problems is a lot of times useless.
    Because they are so ignorant about computers.
    A good screenshot speaks louder than words.
    More screenshots please. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  14. learninmypc

I fully understand & appreciate that, thank you. You taught me something new today :)

DavidBailey likes this.
  15. MaikuTech

MaikuTech TS Maniac Posts: 774   +140

Ok so I used belarc like you recommended to everyone, I can't understand why your having a real problem locating info about the system components.
    If you have a profile belarc gives you from that computer, does it or does it not give you the mobo name and model number by chance ?
    That would have been enough for me alone to find out what onboard sound card it has and start looking for drivers that would have worked for it.
    When that machine had WinMe did the sound work on it before you upgraded it to xp ?

16. learninmypc

I LOVE MY SEAHAWKS. @MaikuTech , can you "HEAR" that picture? If so, what do you hear? Stupid question? No. Thus why do I need a sound card? I did not have this pc when it was a WinMe. I appreciate you & the others help, thank you :)

17. learninmypc

Yep, where yours says Realtek High Definition Audio, mine says No Audio card detected. Thank you all, been fun & informative :) :) :)

18. I cannot hear the picture.
    There is nothing wrong with my sound.
    Try another approach.

19. learninmypc

Another approach? No soundcard needed, thank you. End of topic :)

20. Understood.
    Bye.

holdum323 likes this.