Resetting Windows XP

learninmypc

A friend gave a desktop win XP yesterday & despite the fact it was/is seriously infected, all I want to do is clean it up or re set it to factory setting, so I can use it to store pictures. Offline of course. How do I reset it with no disc(s)? Thanks

Ok, no recovery partition, no restore discs (CD) & no $$$ to buy off Amazon. Sorry to sound impatient, I just want to reset it.

Last edited:
In a link I saw either on your link or mine, it mentioned a hidden recovery partition, hmmm, where might it be? Anyhow, if I turn this into a door stop, my bad. Thank you :)

Where on Belarc Advisor will I find make & model? Thank you.[/QUOTE]
I don't use Belarc Advisior. I use Speccy.
No! You don't clone a OS. You clone the Hard Drive. You need a 3rd party image program like Macrium Reflect to create a clone. You could try to clean the PC if it's infected. That's a whole different ball game.
https://www.lifewire.com/belarc-advisor-review-2625784

Last edited:
Seems like that isn't an ideal use of an old computer (storing pictures), since you can just accomplish this with an external hard drive or even USB stick. However, if that is really all you want to do with it you could consider a light linux distribution such as PuppyLinux , you can store your photos with that and have a fully functional OS that can be networked without the security concerns that XP brings.

Last edited:
Fully understand. At the time of that post, I had no idea the harddrive is only 185 gb's. Its been a pain just finding programs to use on it to get it clean . I think I'll see if @Broni can get it clean for me & go from there. I was hoping to reset it to factory setting instead of cleaning it but........Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.

I don't think it is worth 'cleaning' to still end up with an OS that isn't receiving support/updates anymore. You could probably find an iso of XPSP3 online somewhere or buy one from eBay and accomplish your goal quicker and with less headaches than trying to clean a compromised OS. (but I still think the best option if you want to have the computer able to do real work would be to run a lightweight linux)

Seems like that isn't an ideal use of an old computer (storing pictures), since you can just accomplish this with an external hard drive or even USB stick. However, if that is really all you want to do with it you could consider a light linux distribution such as PuppyLinux , you can store your photos with that and have a fully functional OS that can be networked without the security concerns that XP brings.
I'm being totally honest when I say I know zero about Linux. That said, if you could give me a step by step instructions on how to install PuppyLinux on my WXP PROFESSIONAL, I'd appreciate it. I do have some cd/rw & I think some CDR discs

Where on Belarc Advisor will I find make & model? Thank you.
I don't use Belarc Advisior. I use Speccy.
No! You don't clone a OS. You clone the Hard Drive. You need a 3rd party image program like Macrium Reflect to create a clone. You could try to clean the PC if it's infected. That's a whole different ball game.
https://www.lifewire.com/belarc-advisor-review-2625784[/QUOTE]
Not from speccy but from th pc here are he specs
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name WINXPBE-152403
System Manufacturer SYX
System Model snc302eeh
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 12 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~2199 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 2/4/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.2
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5574 (xpsp_sp3_qfe.080402-1256)"
User Name WINXPBE-152403\Admin
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.37 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.95 GB
Page File Space 3.85 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Thank you for your reply. I would suggest you install a Linux OS, or clean it up and then stay off the internet, because XP is no longer supported by MS and you will be exposed to all kinds of ransomware and other malware. I prefer UBUNTU. https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
Good luck!

Back