What do I need to run two graphics cards?

TheLogicalDan

Ok, recently, it was confirmed that in order to run Battlefield 3 on Ultra you will need 2 graphics card. Now here is my question, what will I need in order to be able to support these 2 cards.

The cards are 2 Radeon HD 6850.
I have AMD Athlon II X2 255 Processor 3/11 dual core.
8.00GB RAM
Crosshair IV formula motherboard
Power Supply - 350w (I know I need to upgrade, but I don't know how much I should have.)

I think you misread the quote from the EA guy. He said that you will need two GTX 580's (or equivalent) to run BF3 on highest settings. Two HD 6850's are are about equal to one GTX 580. You will be able run the game with one or two HD 6850's, just not on highest settings if this person is to be believed.
You will need a PSU of 600w BTW. Secondly, BF3 is going to use up to 8 cores like it's predecessor and using a dual core is going to limit things for you.

Ok but should my computer be able to support the Radeon 6950 graphics card fine? (considering i update my PSU.)
Also, I think i'm just going to still with dual core, may not be the best settings but it will be enough.

Yes I do. Thank you. I hope to get it soon. (maybe in October) but I think I should figure out what the current problem with my computer is first.

Hey what about the Nvidea 550 ti? Those any good, cause I heard something about Nvidea's working better on BF3 (although I don't know if there true.)

The 560 TI is gives about 5-7% to 6950. If BFBC2 is any indicator of performance with the Frostbite 2 engine, there shouldn't be a significant performance loss after AMD gets their update/CAP out. If you are planning on going CF or SLI down the road I would stay away from doing it with the HD 6870 or the 560 Ti. Tom's Hardware did an interesting article on micro-stutter and had the same experience I have had building machines. That being that these two cards, for some reason, have a higher rate of stutter than others. I would go with the HD 6950, or the GTX 570.
What is going on with your computer BTW?

Wasn't the triple 6870 really good?

it is, as a matter of fact Toms came to a conclusion that I noticed a couple years ago. Adding a third and or 4th card always stops micro stutter. I don't know why, but it does.

The PSU you select will depend on the video cards you eventually end up with. I have a slightly older HD 5870 video card and a PC Power & Cooling TubroCool 850 SSI to match it. I imagine you would need something similar for a set of HD 6850s in crossfire.

Back