What does this sound like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Let's see if I can explain what is going on. My friend called and said his computer was acting up. They were working on the computer and the screen goes black but you can see the cursor. The cursor (arrow) won't move with the mouse and as you may have guessed the computer still is running. There is no way to shut it down but to do a hard shut down. When I went to start it back up there was no power. I unplugged all power to the computer and pushed the power button to release any electricity left. I plugged back in and restored power. I pushed the power button and it worked for a couple of weeks before it did it again. I went back out and tried this time just the reset button and it restarted with no problem. Since then for the last month or two it has done it twice and a restart has worked. I am sure there is many things that it could be but does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Can be a multitude of things
But most likely cause is internal dust (that requires blowing out)
Or Power Supply faulty

Note: Reseating Ram and checking data cables etc, are also a good idea

Antec P 180 Case
Samsung 22" Widescreen monitor
Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3
Leadtek WinFast PX7900GS TDH 256MB GeForce 7900GS
ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA
TRENDnet TFM-560X 56Kbps External Data/Fax/TAM Modem
ICY DOCK MB559US-1SMB 3.5"USB 2.0 & eSATA Ext Enclosure
Rosewill RCR-FD200 All-in-one USB 2.0 Black 3.5" Card Reader
Samsung DVD burner -2 at 31
Seagate ST3640323AS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB 3
Cyber Acoustics Platinum CA3550RB Flat Panel Design Speaker
UPS CYBERPOWER CP850AVRLCD BLK
Logitech MX 3200 Logitech USB Wireless Laser Desktop
Corsair HX CMPSU-620HX

XP Pro cannot see 4 Gig or Ram
There is a switch to put in the boot.ini file to make it see 3.2Gig, but in reality XP won't utilize anything above 2Gig anyway

ie Take one ram card out (or ideally take them both out, and put two single one gigs in)

Instead of updating the ram (whenever it was done) it would have been much better updating the 256Meg video card, which is really too small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back