What happens when I try to start computer with outdated BIOS to new CPU

What happens when I have a BIOS version on my motherboard that is lower than the minimum required for a new CPU? If everything is set up properly, will the case fans at least work? This question also can be formatted as: Without a CPU installed, will case fans still turn on? I’m trying to determine if I shot my CPU, or if the BIOS is not compatible, or if my motherboard is shot.

If it were mine, I would start by putting the old CPU back and checking that this works. Then if it is running solid and reliable, I would look into upgrading the BIOS. Merely putting a 'too new' CPU should not harm the motherboard (though static and poor assembly technique may).

Some folks have bought an 'older BIOS' motherboard with a 'too new' CPU. They resolve it by borrowing an earlier version CPU or buying one off eBay and then doing the upgrade

As to telling if you have a 'good' motherboard without any CPU, I would check that on the motherboard maker's support site. as it may vary from one maker to another and one model to another.

If it were mine, I would start by putting the old CPU back and checking that this works. Then if it is running solid and reliable, I would look into upgrading the BIOS. Merely putting a 'too new' CPU should not harm the motherboard (though static and poor assembly technique may).

Some folks have bought an 'older BIOS' motherboard with a 'too new' CPU. They resolve it by borrowing an earlier version CPU or buying one off eBay and then doing the upgrade

As to telling if you have a 'good' motherboard without any CPU, I would check that on the motherboard maker's support site. as it may vary from one maker to another and one model to another.
Okay thanks!

Back