What hard drive to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brisingr

So my wife and I have this 6 year old computer. Recently I changed the motherboard for an Asus M3A78 with a AMD 64x2 and a 4000HD series Radeon graphics card. Nothing awesome or expensive, but I know I still need an updated hard disk. I'm running the original IDE and I'm just waiting for it to give out on me. My motherboard supports this newfangled SATA stuff (that was fun to say!) and I want to utilize it. My storage requirements are not huge (what's a terabyte?). Longevity and reliability are my primary concerns, with speed secondary, and cost umm tertiary!

Also, after I decide what to buy, I really need some advice on how to go about transferring, copying, or imaging the old drive. Can't say I've ever done it before and I'm a little nervous.

I'm open to all informed opinions so let me know what you think.

WD 640GB or 750GB Blue SATA II,http://commercial.asus.com/product/detail/21

WD Green saves power but are slower
WD Blue is robust but are very quiet
WD Black is power house but they're noisy

Some great deals online for OEM WD these don't have screws, no SATA cable or power cable, just bare bones but you can save money.

Seems like the blue caviar, if that's correct, runs for something like $250. Not too bad I suppose. Similar pricing to most used ecms for gen1 mitsubishis. Ah sorry, wrong forum.
I like the specs on this HD, any idea where they're manufactured?

Probably Malaysia. That's what mine says on the label. I usually buy WD Caviar Black mostly with some Blue.

If you live in the USA (or Canada) check online prices from vendors such as Newegg.com. For WD Caviar Blue 640GB SATA = $69.99. Caviar Black 640GB SATA = $74.99. Prices will vary but certainly less than $250.

Wow $250 bucks wow.. I had ordered 3x of the WD Blue 640GB OEM for $54 bucks off Amazon. Last month. I just got around installing them so quiet. I had aready had them in the 3x Quad-core towers. The 750GB was $69 but sold out WD Blue ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back