1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a IEEE 1394 Port?

By greenrubyjean ยท 10 replies
Nov 7, 2008
  1. I have a Panasonic MiniDV camcorder and I have downloaded a program called Anvsoft Movie DVD Maker. I want to transfer my cassettes to DVD using this program and the program is telling me that I need this card. How do I put this onto my computer, or is that even possible?? Please let me know what I need to do.
  2. LNCPapa

    LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,247   +448

    It's just another name for firewire or sometimes iLink for a Sony device. If you're on a fairly current desktop you probably already have this port. If not then it's a cheap PCI card that you can buy and easily install (if you have open PCI slots) to give you this capability.
  3. greenrubyjean

    greenrubyjean TS Rookie Topic Starter

    Where is the PCI slot located? My computer was probably purchased in 2002 or 2003.
  4. LookinAround

    LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

    Ummmm... If you need headlights for your car would you go to the autoparts store and tell them you bought your car in 2002. Tell me what parts i need :rolleyes:

    The computer mfr and exact model needed (just like for your auto when buying those headlamps)
  5. Tedster

    Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

    your PCI port will be one empty slot that your Graphics card is NOT using. Your graphics slot is probably an AGP slot if the computer was made in 02/03.

    Do not confuse PCI with PCI-E. PCI-E is new technology and slot is much bigger.
  6. SNGX1275

    SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,729   +409

    PCIe 16x is much bigger, but 1x is much smaller.

    Look in your computer, if you have any white slots under your graphics card (you almost certainly will) those are PCI slots. If you have 1 without a card already in it all you will need is a PCI Firewire Card. Should be anywhere from $9 to $30 depending on where you shop.
  7. greenrubyjean

    greenrubyjean TS Rookie Topic Starter

    When you say "look in your computer", do you mean open it up and look?? Because I have never done that. You are speaking to a woman with little to no electronics knowledge.
    I do own a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop that I use primarily. Can I use this computer instead of the old desktop? OR, should I just upgrade and buy a new camcorder that makes things alot easier on me. I plan to be taking alot of video in the upcoming year.
  8. SNGX1275

    SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,729   +409

    Yes, thats what I meant. But in light of the updated information, yes, use your laptop, it has that IEEE 1394 on it already. It probably has the 4 pin mini connector rather than the regular size.


    That shows both types, the mini and the regular. What cable does your camcorder have? The end that plugs into your camcorder is probably the mini end, is the other end of the cable also a mini? If so, then you are set (provided I'm right thinking your laptop does have the mini). If not, then you will need a new cable, they are cheap though, but before I can say which one you need I need to know what cable you have (it would have came with the camcorder) and what the ends are.
  9. greenrubyjean

    greenrubyjean TS Rookie Topic Starter

    Thank you so much for your help. And I do apoligize for keeping this going, but I just have a couple more questions. I looked all around my laptap for areas to plug cords into and I found one that is actually labeled "1394". Now, I have misplaced the cord that came with my camcorder, but I do have 2 USB 2.0 cables?? Don't know if they help at all. Neither will fit into the "1394" plug. I guess I just need to know what kind of cord I need to plug my MiniDV camcorder into my laptop and transfer the video onto there so that I can burn DVD's.
    Thank you again so much for your help.
  10. SNGX1275

    SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,729   +409

    I'm 90% sure your camcorder will also use the mini 1394, the mini end is called a 4P or 4Pin, the bigger one is 6P or 6Pin (the extra 2 carry power). If the connection on your laptop is one of the small ones, its a 4P, its also 4P on your camcorder if it is small. But you'll need to make sure before you order. Its easy to tell though because in my above picture it shows the 4 and the 6, the 6 is the one that is bigger.

    Here is where you can order cables real cheap, they are very reputable I've ordered from them many times. http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?spcDB=10301&spcWord=Firewire+Cable&keyword=firewire

    At the top there are some Firewire 800 cables, ignore those, they don't concern you for this. Scroll down to the ones where they stop saying Firewire 800, then just look for the appropriate one. Most likely you will want the 4P to 4P one for $1.65.
  11. greenrubyjean

    greenrubyjean TS Rookie Topic Starter

    Thank you very much. You have been so helpful. If I have any further questions, I'll know where to find you!:)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add New Comment

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...