What is the least fan RPM I should get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

memooo

HI
I have Intel® Pentium® 4 Processors 3E GHz heres the website
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL7PM

And i don't know whats the lest fan RMP should i get? is it 3000+ RMP?
And also i have problem with the current fan, my computer keep restarting and crashing, so i don't know what to do?

My current fan speed is 2500 RMP MAX and the heat sink is pretty good "it's from intel"

Fan speeds are related to motherboard design, where they are plugged in, and any fan-controllers or fan-controller software that has been added.

You would need to post ALL the pertinent information in that regard before someone could answer you.

'Fan speeds are related to motherboard design, where they are plugged in, and any fan-controllers or fan-controller software that has been added.

You would need to post ALL the pertinent information in that regard before someone could answer you.'

Let's break this down:

mobo - you provided that

where fans are plugged in (motherboard, psu, fan controller rheostat) - no data

fan controller add-ons (usually mechanical rheostats) - no data

fan software add-ons (like SpeedFan) - no data

:)

I really don't get it it's a simple question?
Since my computer keep restart because the current fan i have is 2500 MAX RPM, so it doesn't get much cool RIGHT?
If my CPU is P4 3000GHz and it get hot easily, whats the best fan should i get?
Is it fan with 2000-3000 RPM or fan with 3000-5000 RPM? SIMPLE

You are looking at it entirely wrong.

Do you have stability problems right now?

No? - No prob

Yes? - Are they temp related or another issue?
If problems, have you done a memtest?

I see temp questions all the time, I think this is a common thing for new people trying to learn as much as they can, there is nothing wrong with that, we were all there. But temperatures are FAR OVERRATED. Unless you are overclocking, temperatures mean almost nothing, this is true because all the stock heatsinks and stock designs for vid cards are made to run within the manufacturers specifications!

Since this question got asked, I'm going to make the guess that you aren't overclocking, your temps are fine, your rpms are fine, ect.

P4s run hot as hell anyway, unless you have lockups that you can directly relate to your temps this entire thread is a nonissue.

If my CPU is P4 3000GHz and it get hot easily, whats the best fan should i get? Is it fan with 2000-3000 RPM or fan with 3000-5000 RPM? SIMPLE

There is no fan on Earth that can cool a 3000GHz P4, so you should give up your search. ;)

RPMs are irrelevant. A well made fan @ 2500 RPMs can have more CFMs (airflow) than a poorly design fan @ 3500 RPMs. And no one can tell you what you need because the ambient temperature of your case, home and geographical region will vary. If you want to use a slower fan, get a better, bigger heatsink (Stock Intel heatsink isn't that great) and get some good thermal compound.

Your stock fan should be 'good enough' and if it isn't, clean the dust from your heatsink/fan and reseat it with some fresh thermal paste.

If you're getting restarts after that, you either live in a hot place without air conditioning or you have another problem.. like a bad PSU, failing memory or a slew of other issues.

I did these before posting and asking for help:
1- I did memtest (all night) and there is no problem in my RAM.
2- Nothing is wrong in my system or any issues in my system (100% sure).
3- My CPU is normal it's not overclocked.
4- I cleaned the fan and the heat sink and whats beneath it.
5- I bought Thermal Interface Material (the best available in store) and put it in a clean CPU.
6- I bought a new power simply with 650 watt since i have problems with the old one.

How do i know it's from my Heat sink and the fan? simple
When my computer restart the screen keep blank until i remove the heatsink and put it as it was then my computer works, it happens from times to time specially when i shutdown my PC for almost 4 hours and start it.
My heat sink looks exactly like this ( I bought it almost 1 years for 20$)

But the black circle like this one here

So should i get fan with better speed? Or a whole new heatsink with better quality?
I DON'T WANT TO WAIST MONEY OTHER THAN THAT

If the 2nd heatsink you bought keeps cycling your comp off, while the original works OK, then the 2nd it isn't making good contact for some reason.

Your motherboard cpu fan power supply is NOT regulated, ie, it is a constant supply. Thus, the lowest fan speed will be also the fastest.

Your system and chassis fans (if you have either/or) CAN be regulated, and that is enabled in Bios.

The 3.0 Ghz P4 isn't the hottest cpu from that generation, but they do run hot. The stock cooler with maximum fan rpm on a non-overclocked cpu should be more than adequate to keep the cpu below 72 degrees C.

We used to use those same exact heatsinks at Intel in the validation lab. At the time, they were using them on 3.6GHz Prescotts (Substantially hotter than your P4, I'm sure) and they run stable for days at a time with a fairly puny fan. I don't believe a change of heatsink should be necessary.

If it IS a heat issue, you should be able to reproduce it by loading your system for about 15 minutes until it reaches its maximum temperature. Memtest does a pretty good job of this, so if it run for hours, heat is probably not the problem.

Incidentally, about two weeks ago, I was working on a P4 3.0 GHz HP Media Center PC and it had a 'screen blanking' issue. I would boot into Windows and the screen would go blank sometimes... sometimes immediately, other times over a period of hours. I couldn't reproduce it reliably, but when this happened, it would never POST (blank screen) after a restart. I just let it have to sit for awhile and then it would start working again. Also, sometimes even when it did work fine, I would restart it and it would not POST.

What did I do to get the computer back on? Other than just letting it fix itself (had to leave it alone for several minutes to a few hours), the only solution that seemed to work 100% of the time was to unplug ATX connector from motherboard... and no, unplugging the AC cable out of the power supply didn't work either.

The problem kept coming back. I tried another power supply and the problem seemed to go away temporarily. Sure enough though, it happened again.

The CPU was running pretty hot, so I reinstalled it with some fresh thermal paste. The problem didn't come back for awhile; however, it started happening again. I put a large fan on it and run it full blast to rule out a cooling issue - again, the screen would still blank and the computer would not POST afterward until I either waited a couple of hours or pulled the ATX connector out of the board.

As it turns out, reseating the memory, reseating the heatsink, reseating the PCI cards were all things that seemed to fix it, although temporarily. Eventually, I noticed that ANY reasonable amount of pressure I put on the system board seemed to fix the issue. My guess? Something needed to be reworked on the board because some component wasn't making good contact.

The solution was to replace my client's system board. It's been about 1.5 weeks and the issue has not reoccurred since. The problem has a striking similarity to yours, so I thought you might like to hear that.

mmmmm.....Are you saying i have to replace my mother board with a new one?

Well it looks like i will buy a whole new PC with better quality and better performance *sigh*
And thanks to all the people who helped me out

I can't say replacing your board is the answer for sure, but if what you said is true about replacing the PSU etc... Based on my experience posted above... It sounds likely.

Regardless, either way it is a great excuse to upgrade :)

I can't say replacing your board is the answer for sure, but if what you said is true about replacing the PSU etc... Based on my experience posted above... It sounds likely.

Regardless, either way it is a great excuse to upgrade :)

it's not an excuse, since this PC I want to smash it in pieces i wouldn't buy a whole new PC
well new PC will be better since Core 2 duo is better

irrelevant, and most motherboards dynamically control fan speed anyway.
what you should be asking are what are some of the best cooling systems.

If you're referring to muffin fans on your case, then this is something you really don't control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back