What is the max SSD I can use with my L655-s5096

I've got a Toshiba satellite L655-S5096 laptop. I just updated all drivers and bios. I am currently using a ocz vertex 3 120 gig ssd with great success. I bought a samsung 840 evo 500 gig ssd and the computer will not recognize this sdd as being there. I formatted the drive with no recognition either. What is the maximum ssd I can install on this laptop? The Toshiba website will not give me a maximum storage capacity for the current bios and drivers. Does anyone know the maximum ssd I can install or why it will not recognize a 500 gig ssd?

I put one of these (250Gb) in a netbook and it transformed it. I don't recollect anything about capacity limits. Try removing and then plugging in the drive again in case the connector is the problem. Either you are missing something or the drive is defective. At what point did you update the bios and drivers? The BIOS is something to leave alone and I don't recollect having to install additional drivers for my SSD drive.

The ssd is not defective. My desktop recognized just fine and I've had it in and out of the laptop many times. It locks in quite nicely. I build my own computer systems and so updating bios and drivers is no big deal. I just can't find the specs on the largest capacity ssd that the bios 2.8 will accept. Why will it accept anything under 500 gig but not 500?

I've tried that first on their website to no conclusion. I have specific questions and they have general answers. I will have to call them now. I've found nowhere to email a technician a question. They send you to your model for driver updates and how to install things but that does not answer my question. Thanks for your reply.

Dgroff, size should not matter in the least. Sounds like u'r Toshiba satellite has problems.

So what is it that determines whether it sees the current 120 gig ssd and not the 500 gig ssd? what software or driver do I need to deal with? Is it the bios? do I need to go back to the previous bios? maybe the chipset? maybe when I updated everything I installed and incorrect update.

I found some mentions of problems with the recognition of SSD drives on recent Toshiba laptops. It doesn't seem to relate to the size of the drive though. This is what people have tried with success so it's worth checking out

Enter the bios and change SATA setting to Battery Saving which equates to SATA 2 mode.

Back