What issue? Apple says the iPad Mini 6's jelly effect is normal behavior

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: Apple has responded to reports highlighting the unpleasant “jelly scroll” effect some users of its new iPad Mini 6 have noticed. There was speculation over whether this is a hardware or software fault, but according to Cupertino, it’s neither: Apple says it’s normal behavior.

Reports arrived earlier this week of an issue in the well-reviewed iPad Mini 6. When scrolling in portrait mode with lots of text on the screen—reading web pages, for example—one side of the display is moving faster than the other, causing a slight tearing, aka jelly effect. It’s not that easy to notice in everyday use but is pretty apparent in the slowed-down video below.

Responding to the reports, Apple told Ars Technica that there is no issue to fix, and that this is normal behavior for LCD screens because of how they refresh line by line, causing a delay. However, the publication notes that the effect is not noticeable on other 60Hz LCD iPads, such as the latest $329 iPad that was released at the same time and the iPad Air 4. There’s also an invisible line dividing the middle of the screen in the iPad Mini 6 that's not present on other devices.

On the other side of the argument is tech leaker Jon Prosser, who agrees that this is typical behavior for these displays. He adds that it is present in the iPad Air.

It should be reiterated that this effect is subtle—many owners say they’ve never seen it—and is only really apparent when slowly scrolling in portrait mode. Unfortunately, that’s the orientation most people use while browsing the web, and once you see the jelly effect, it’s hard to ignore.

Most people agree that the issue is small enough not to detract from the iPad Mini 6’s positive reviews, though some buyers of the $499 tablet may disagree.

Permalink to story.

I was thinking: if this jelly effect related/similar to screen tearing?

I think variable refresh rate should sync that but their implementation of it might just not be that good yet. But it might be related to just a hardware defect or "feature" as Apple would like to call it to sell you the fix on a new ipad mini in 1 to 3 years because of course Apple would Apple the fix.

Last time I heard of issues like this, it happened on the OnePlus 5, and apparently that one was caused by the display being installed upside down (the portion with the display controller pointing up), however weird that was.

Bahaha, you’d think they’d learn after the “You’re not holding it right” debacle.

More of the ‘Holier than thou’ attitude that will lead Apple to change tune on this in a short period of time, guaranteed.

Lmao, the Apple haters are getting really desperate aren’t they. Yeah this is a non issue. It’s only got a story because editors know that their lowest common denominators will lap it up.

I was thinking: if this jelly effect related/similar to screen tearing?

I think variable refresh rate should sync that but their implementation of it might just not be that good yet. But it might be related to just a hardware defect or "feature" as Apple would like to call it to sell you the fix on a new ipad mini in 1 to 3 years because of course Apple would Apple the fix.

I'm no expert but I believe its a similar inherent effect kinda like "rolling shutter" on cameras.

I'm sure it can be worked around but I'm pretty sure it's "normal" and not a defect.

I'm no expert but I believe its a similar inherent effect kinda like "rolling shutter" on cameras.

I'm sure it can be worked around but I'm pretty sure it's "normal" and not a defect.
Ah so is not caused the same way screen tearing but is probably a similar, normal side effect people mitigate, that does makes sense.

Sorry but with all of the LCD based screens I have owned or worked on and when they are working properly as in drivers for the video chip are installed this never has happened. The only time I have seen this Jelly effect is when improper drivers or no drives at all are installed on the device.

But of coarse because it is Apple whatever they say is or is not happening will have the Apple fans buying into it and just let it go and still say oh look I have one of the best devices on planet earth because it has the Apple logo on it. If this happened to any other company no matter who it is all hell would break loose and no matter what any other company said would matter people would storm the internet and rant rant rant about it until the company recalled and fixed the problem.

Because it is Apple of coarse this will not happen because after all they said hey this is normal operation of the device so learn to live with it and people will do it just because Apple said so. The device is not working right heck even when they showed this happening at full speed and not slowed down it was mind boggling how Apple thought no body would not notice this happening. Just watching the second video made me want to hurl chunks it was that bad and if I had said device I would be taking it back to be either fixed or a refund.

Edited:
I'm not sure when it said yep typical 60Hz LCD I scrolled my PC monitor through this text as well as scrolling my old Samsung Galaxy screen through a webpage both of which are 60Hz and neither displayed the scrolling text like that and wanted to make me hurl chunks. Both scrolled smooth and no jelly effect like that. Of coarse I could make my PC display do that if I was to uninstalled my video drivers and then reboot without the drivers loaded and go to a webpage it would screen tear like that because no drivers are loaded allowing the graphics card to work properly. This is not a display issue Apple is having this is most likely a software setting done wrong and probably can be fixed or a driver bug which can be fixed as well. I am sure Apple will quietly push a update out here very very soon that will magically make this go away and then say see we told you all you were just scrolling it wrong and we did it right but you did not. LOL

Last edited:
So they didn't fall back on, "you're holding it wrong". this time?

It makes sense I suppose. After all, they couldn't exactly say, "it's supposed to have bad reception", now could they?

Last edited:
Back