What kind of HD enclosure?

I had a computer that stopped going past bios one day. I tried to connect the HD to another computer to recover my files but it also wouldn't go past bios, so I *think* it is the HD's fault (I'm not sure because I have been informed that unless both computers were the same, the HD wouldn't necessarily have to work in the second one)...

I found the kind of hard drive enclosure, but you can still help with these quetsions!

Also, if the hard drive is not booting connected to the pc, will I be able to connect it to the computer with a USB after I put it in an enclosure and it will actually work?

And... IF it works when I connect it to the USB port, will a new windows start, since it has windows installed, or will I be able to just look for my files?

HD's Info: Western Digital, WD Caviar Blue, WD800BB

Thanks!

If the drive is physically okay, it should work in any machine you put it into and it should work fine from an external enclosure. The fact that the BIOS is hanging may mean the drive is not working properly.

If you do connect it via USB it won't start Windows from that drive, it'll still use the system drive in the PC unless you were specifically trying to boot from USB.

I would boot the machine and then connect the drive in the enclosure (via usb) and see if Windows is able to see the drive.

Back