What OS's should I install for an old multi-boot system?

Danny101

I'm rebuilding an old gaming system and trying to cover all relevant compatibilities. I have XP Home 32-Bit, Vista Home Premium 32-Bit, Windows 7 64-Bit, and Windows 8.1 64-Bit. Yes, I'm an OS junkie. I also plan on installing Steam OS as well to complement with Linux games. I recently tried to play Fallout:New Vegas (Steam) on a new Windows 10 64-Bit system and tried nearly everything under the sun to get it to play with stability and just tired of trying when I know it will play on Vista 32-Bit reasonably well. Haven't tried it with XP, although I imagine it wouldn't be an issue. This machine will also serve as a DVR and for on-line usage. It's based off of an AMD AM2+ socket platform so it should be capable with a large swath of 32-Bit games. I say 32-Bit because 64-Bit games hasn't been a thing until recently and I already have an updated system for those. I was going to install XP, Vista, 7 x64 or 8.1 x64 (when 7 becomes unsupported), and Steam but I'm thinking that might be overdoing it. As much as I like to game, I haven't played a lot of them and there are tons I have missed out on. What combination would you veterans suggest that would cover all my bases? I'm leaning toward Vista and 8.1, ironically the two most hated Windows Microsoft ever produced, ;). When I installed Vista in 2009, coming from XP, I was happy with it. Granted it was installed on a Dual-core Athlon 2.4 Ghz cpu and later with a Phenom II x4 3.0 Ghz cpu so much of the issues was overcomed with raw power. And they have apparently ironed out the ill-fated OS. I've dealt with 8.1 on a laptop and hated it. But there are work-a-arounds and it doesn't, supposedly, contain all the telemetry that Windows 10 comes with. My last thought is XP x86 with Windows 8.1 x64 on this machine and Vista x86 on the updated machine. Writing this may have just helped me figure this out. With all the glory that 7 have received, I guess I missed out. It won't be supported after next year and 8.1 is good through 2023 so it wouldn't make sense for me to install it only having to update again. UNLESS! The loophole to 10 still exist! Facepalmed! UGH! Help me sort this out! Idea! The 8.1, I could used for another system.

Last edited:
It isn't. More of experiment in configuration and using OS's that are not suitable for on-line activity. The kids can play on it and is really the entire reason for it. I had to actually fix a booting issue that I never encountered before and learned a few things. It is an education as well.

Back