What should my new GFX card be?

Alster37

Im really stuck on this , the ones in my mind are the gtx 460, gtx 470, 5850, or the 5870v2 (the only one that fits). I would like one that copes well with the dx 11 features but is the right value for money. I wont be going SLI most likely as I could never get the money in time. Something that can run crysis 2 at decent fps at higher level of settings.( I know its not out yet but I trust your judgement).

thanks

I would say GTX460, but not too sure on how it would compare with Crysis 2.

However, more importantly, I hope you have a good PSU, from a proper known brand? What spec is your PC as well, as a lower spec PC will definitely bottleneck your GPU.

P.S. A graphics card is more commonly known as a GPU. :)

You can check my system specs in the down down menu, as for the PSU it just so happens my dad has ordered a tx 750 as a gift which is coming tomorrow so yes I will have a good PSU. I feel though that a gtx 460 might not have enough power for what im expecting. :confused:

Oh and of course I know a graphics card is commonly know as a GPU ;)

I play at 1920x1080 or the next one down for some games (crysis/metro 2033 etc)
I don't plan on getting a higher res screen any time soon.

A Radeon 5850 should be perfect for 1920x1080. However, I suggest waiting for the October release of the first HD 6000 card(s); prices may go down and you might be able to snag a great deal.

unless the 6000 series turns out to be a better buy? :)

what about the gtx 470? its £200 in the uk for the pny version whilst the 5850 is £215
???

thanks

The 6xxx will almost certainly be a better buy, its the new range topping series from AMD/Ati. I personally look forward to see benchmarks directly comparing it with the current range toppers.

The GTX460 is generally regarded as the better buy of the (460/470/480) as its quieter, cooler and has more potential for overclocking. If it was me, I'd spend another £50-60 and get 2x GTX460's for considerably more performance.

@Leeky, PYGMUS
The OP's motherboard (MA770-UD3) supports use of a single graphics card.

fwiw I think the introduction of the HD6xxx series probably will not herald a price drop in the HD 5850/5870/5970 immediately. The new series of cards are likely to be priced above the 5000 series and from a quick look at available stock of the 5850 and 5870 it would seem that either AMD is still supply constrained on these cards, or is tailing off production. A low mileage second hand card (non-reference second revision, first tier vendor with plenty of outstanding warranty available preferable) from someone dying to have the next-best-thing could a viable alternative, as could "price in cart" limited etail specials to clear inventory of slower selling models.

How is the GTX 470 for over clocking? because the difference between the 460 and 470 is only £20.

Its fantastic for overclocking, which coupled with the fact it runs very cool makes for a really good component for overclocking.

The 470 is noticeably superior to the 460, and for the small price difference, I'd say go for the 470. It can OC pretty well too.

Back