What upgrade do you suggest? (GPU)

JamesPromIII

I have an EVGA GTX 460 768MB GDDR5 SC edition. I'm looking for a decent upgrade my price range is 250-300, any suggestions. (I don't want ATI.)

bump what about a gtx 560ti?

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...compare,2673.html?prod[4967]=on&prod[4839]=on

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/313?vs=330

It looks like most titles would get a 10-20 FPS increase, although this will depend on the rest of your system, not sure if that card would give as much a performance increase as that when paired with your C2D E7300. I'd say you would be close to borderline for experiencing CPU bottleneck with the 560Ti. I'll do a bit more looking around but I don't think you have a worthwhile upgrade at that price. If you can sell the 460 for a decent price to put towards the 560Ti it might be an ok upgrade but still I don't think you will get blown away by the difference.

What games are you playing that you feel you are needing the upgrade for?

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...compare,2673.html?prod[4967]=on&prod[4839]=on

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/313?vs=330

It looks like most titles would get a 10-20 FPS increase, although this will depend on the rest of your system, not sure if that card would give as much a performance increase as that when paired with your C2D E7300. I'd say you would be close to borderline for experiencing CPU bottleneck with the 560Ti. I'll do a bit more looking around but I don't think you have a worthwhile upgrade at that price. If you can sell the 460 for a decent price to put towards the 560Ti it might be an ok upgrade but still I don't think you will get blown away by the difference.

What games are you playing that you feel you are needing the upgrade for?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041 I plan on upgrading the CPU to that, so what EVGA 560Ti would be good? Any and all of the newer titles that are out. I can't seem to find the 3.0ghz model of the quad core, anyone know where it might be?

You could probably use the cash from selling your existing card + $250 and get a GTX 570.

In any case I would definitely not upgrade to that Q9550 processor, you could probably get an i5 2500k and a cheap 1155 motherboard for that price.

If your fiance doesn't do any gaming you could still sell that GTX 460 and use the integrated graphics ;)

If you're building a new rig, i5 2500k is definitely the way to go, you might want to take a look at the TS buying guide. Also what exactly is your fear of ATI founded on? You could try getting a 6950 which unlocks into a 6970, that would be excellent value.

I'm just a nvidia guy and my fiance wants to game with me, anywhere I can find that 3ghz quad core? How much could I get for that GTX 460?

You could probably use the cash from selling your existing card + $250 and get a GTX 570.

In any case I would definitely not upgrade to that Q9550 processor, you could probably get an i5 2500k and a cheap 1155 motherboard for that price.
I agree and was fixing to post the same when I noticed it was already stated. :)

You can get a motherboard, CPU, and memory for $300. The performance of an i5-2500 is 1.5 times that of a Q9550. However upgrading the motherboard sometimes forces an OS (if OEM) purchase to.

I agree and was fixing to post the same when I noticed it was already stated. :)

You can get a motherboard, CPU, and memory for $300. The performance of an i5-2500 is 1.5 times that of a Q9550. However upgrading the motherboard sometimes forces an OS (if OEM) purchase to.

Exactly, that's why I plan on building another tower.

WOW, Thats a nice build!!!

You might as well go $20 more for the 2500K and enjoy the over-clock capabilities of the K series. A build like that would definitely handle over-clocking with an after-market CPU cooler. :)

I didn't see a listing for the power supply. What exactly did you have in mind there?
You would need at least a 600W but if you plan on later adding a second 560Ti in SLI, a 800W or better would be nice.

Yep, that is a very good build. 560 Ti SLI would be awesome if you add another one, they scale really well.

I would say ditch the 2133Mhz RAM and go for a normal 1600Mhz kit. Put the money towards your graphics card and you will have better performance for the price. Also as HDD prices are pretty insane at the moment due to the Thailand flooding, I would suggest getting a small SSD for your OS and programs and add a HDD when prices stabilize.

Yep, that is a very good build. 560 Ti SLI would be awesome if you add another one, they scale really well.

I would say ditch the 2133Mhz RAM and go for a normal 1600Mhz kit. Put the money towards your graphics card and you will have better performance for the price. Also as HDD prices are pretty insane at the moment due to the Thailand flooding, I would suggest getting a small SSD for your OS and programs and add a HDD when prices stabilize.

I'm not worried about the money I can afford everything I posted. Also keep the GTX 460 in my current build and my fiance will have a decent gaming PC.

The holy grail of building a new computer is to make sure everything balances and there aren't any components which bottlenecks others. If you buy that RAM you will notice next to zero difference in your daily computing because you would have to be into serious overclocking to actually require 2133Mhz RAM.

The $50 saved can be put to much better use, e.g. I notice you haven't included a CPU cooler in your build.

I have an EVGA GTX 460 768MB GDDR5 SC edition. I'm looking for a decent upgrade my price range is 250-300, any suggestions. (I don't want ATI.)

If I were you I would stick with what you have until the new gen nvidia come out then do a 300 dollars upgrade to a 670 for example.
Also buy EVGA only in the future.

The difference between the 460 and a 560 is minimal ,,

Also the 460 can be OCed very high, take up voltage and it goes to 1000 core easy, raise memory too. Shure its not the 460 1GB ,, but its not worth it for you to put down 300 bones at this point. Wait until January then well see whats up

I mean unless your having a gaming issue ? Which you shouldnt everything should fly fast.. thanks gl

The holy grail of building a new computer is to make sure everything balances and there aren't any components which bottlenecks others. If you buy that RAM you will notice next to zero difference in your daily computing because you would have to be into serious overclocking to actually require 2133Mhz RAM.

The $50 saved can be put to much better use, e.g. I notice you haven't included a CPU cooler in your build.

What RAM do you suggest I get?

If I were you I would stick with what you have until the new gen nvidia come out then do a 300 dollars upgrade to a 670 for example.
Also buy EVGA only in the future.

The difference between the 460 and a 560 is minimal ,,

Also the 460 can be OCed very high, take up voltage and it goes to 1000 core easy, raise memory too. Shure its not the 460 1GB ,, but its not worth it for you to put down 300 bones at this point. Wait until January then well see whats up

I mean unless your having a gaming issue ? Which you shouldnt everything should fly fast.. thanks gl

I think my CPU is bottlenecking everything, that's why i'm looking for the quad core 3ghz model.

Back