What would be a good budget PCIe card for up to 100 bucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valiel

Hi, I'm either gonna get a duelcore 2.5ghz or quadcore 1.8ghz pc soon with 6gb and 4gb memory soon and I'm wondering what kind of card i should get to go with it for around 0-100 bucks.

I just realized that the pc I'm wanting to get has only 300 watt psu and I dont have the money to upgrade that. The card you mention requires 400, is there anything else you would recommend?

The 4670 pulls very little power and does not even require a PCI-E power connector. It will run fine on a 300W PSU. You can drop down to a 512MB version too, the extra 512MB of VRAM on that Sapphire card will not help (or hinder) performance in any way.

My next question is: is it practical for gaming to have a quadcore cpu? Do today's games even make use of the extra cores? Or is it better to have quadcore with low cpu
power or a dualcore with high cpu power?

Quads are the future, but no game can utilize them to their fullest. The potential is present, but by the time games start to fully utilize all four cores, CPU architecture will be far more advanced than at present and the quad you buy now will be much, much slower than the quads available then.

Better stick to a fast dual-core like the E8400 for now. Cache is also a concern, since the cache-per-core on all the quads, except for the Q9x50 and Core 2 Extreme series, is far lower than on dual-cores like those from the E8x00 series. Games are extremely sensitive to cache size, and a larger cache is almost always translated into better performance.

That is extremely overpriced for a desktop PC. You can build an on-par (or better) one for a far lower price.

But if you cannot or will not build one, it will be OK.

I think I will build one if it will be cheaper and better. I just need help finding the right parts. PM me with your msn or email so we can talk easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back