What would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelic00

I have 3 PCI Slots (One of which doesn't work for unknown reasons, 2 are being used - one by my wireless network and the other by my current graphics device, the fx 5200). I also have a AGP 4x/8x Slot... An older version. Newer AGP type devices I don't think will fit due to reversed plugs on the cards than I have in my motherboard. So please, no AGP recommendations.

But, I would like to hear of a nice, cheap video card that's in the range of GF 7 and GF 9. Thank you.

You can also email me your suggestions: angel.naxpserver@hotmail.com

kimsland, Please re-read my post. That post refers to the 6200. I want something in GeForce 7 or above

*EDIT* Please note that I don't want to pay for anything more than $40 seeing as I'm working on a new machine at the moment..

You're making an impossible request. Even if someone made the foolish decision to design a powerful video card for the PCI bus, PCI just doesn't have anywhere near the bandwidth that the video card needs to achieve any acceptable level of performance. If you can't use the AGP slot, there is not a single video card on the market that you can put in that computer that is going to deliver anything approaching good performance.

You know I mentioned that once to "Tha General" in that thread (actually it may have been via PM)
But he insisted that PCI bus can deliver good Video output :confused:
I never truly understood why Users just didn't update to PCI-Express Motherboard (Minimum) if they wanted to play games! (or have better Video generally)
The old AGP, or even boards that don't have AGP (or can't use AGP?) just aren't worth it anymore (IMO)

Agreed, PCI-E is really the only way to get acceptable video card performance. These days, even a $40-50 PCI-E card will slap around the best you can get for old PCI.

To avoid the PCI only (not PCI-E) fanatics out there
Yes you can purchase really good PCI only Video cards (even brand new and good quality)
But why? So you can put it into a really, really old computer, that came out before PCI-Express existed :confused:
Now that is weird

I just need a half decent video card for CSS until I can build the machine I want to build. And I've seen on newegg video cards as high as 9500 GT that will fit PCI and give outstanding performance. I just can't find any cards lower than 9 that are around $30-$40 that I can use. Even a 6600 made for PCI i would enjoy, seeing as I would be able to play L4D on low with playable fps... (meaning 10+ fps)

Idk when I'm gonna get the money for my next machine, so I need something I can play with. I've tested my fx 5200 in another computer to ensure it was a graphic card error so I need to get a new video card that will last me at least a few months. Plus, this video card also locks up in normal Windows (I have windows vista installed) and when I build my new machine, I'm going to be giving this computer to my mother and she plays things like pogo.com and watches youtube sometimes, and the fx 5200 on vista is quite slow on those sites.

I also have a AGP 4x/8x Slot... An older version. Newer AGP type devices I don't think will fit due to reversed plugs on the cards than I have in my motherboard. So please, no AGP recommendations.
You do know that your AGP slot was designed for improved Video (yes, many years ago I grant that)
I'm quite positive that you can locate an old AGP card (possibly eBay to keep the price down) And then all will be ok (although obviously this port is very old and slow)
But at least you can play some lesser quality Video games

You stated "no AGP recommendations" But you have this slot already, may as well use it (if you must) it will be better than the PCI slots anyway
And will carry the computer over until you can get a better Motherboard with about 4X the performance of AGP. Generally most Users with PCI-Express run 16X and at least 512Meg MINIMUM to run most games, plus on Vista many tend to have 4Gig of Ram, and Sata Harddrives (again all making things quicker than older computers with AGP only)

But for the moment, why not AGP?

I swapped mobos to have AGP capability and it payed off nicely. PCI is a horrible bottleneck and everyone repudiates what Tha General claims about PCI capability.(and every claims he makes essentially) I don't know why a modern AGP card would not fit in your slot but I would get that instead as it is a huge performance increase over PCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back