What's this slot for

circusboy01

My computer. Lenovo IdeaCentre K300 has a slot, about 3/4 as long as the memory slots. Does anybody know what it might be for? Because I'd sure like to fill it. I just feel a computer is not complete with empty slots.
Pre-thanks to all who reply ;0)

I'm not following. I've called up a few pics but I don't see anything other than PCIe, PCI, and DDR slots.

It could very well be one of those slots. Since the slot is empty, is there any one of these 3 slots that the computer will run without? Cause that's probably the one it is.Naturally I'm just guessing.

Can you upload a pic identifying the slot you are questioning?

PCI and PCIe are card slots for addition computing hardware. They don't require card to be in them.

Can you upload a pic identifying the slot you are questioning?

PCI and PCIe are card slots for addition computing hardware. They don't require card to be in them.

Sorry. I don't have a clue how to upload a pic. What ever goes in it has a slot. Just like the memory does, if that helps. You say the PCI and the PCIe slots don't have to have something in them. What about the DDR slot?
Of course you know my next question after this one is going to be, what kind of hardware can I put in the PCI and PCIe slots? ;0)

Maybe this will help
PCI_und_PCIe_Slots.jpg

Maybe this will help
PCI_und_PCIe_Slots.jpg

I didn't pay too much attention when I had my tower open except at the Ram and Ram slots. But I believe I only had one slot open.
If the pic. is to scale the long yellow one looks about as long as my Ram slots. I mentioned that the empty one was about 3/4 as long as the Ram slots, but it could have been as long as the 2 other slots shown.
So I'm guessing it's a PCI slot. I'll open the case, and check to see how long it is. If you want to wait until... I absolutely have to ;0)
What kind of things could one put into a PCI slot? Thanks

The most common is networking (wired or wireless), sound, and IO cards (such as USB, Firewire, and eSATA).

Since I know that my sound works ( I can hear my music) My USBs work ( I have things plugged into them,and my flash drives work)
Does that mean that it is not a PCI slot, or that I have another one that is not empty? I've heard the word Firewire, but don't remember what it is. Don't know what IO cards or eSATA is.
If you want me to stop bugging you with questions. I'll understand.

Since I know that my sound works ( I can hear my music) My USBs work ( I have things plugged into them,and my flash drives work)
Does that mean that it is not a PCI slot, or that I have another one that is not empty? I've heard the word Firewire, but don't remember what it is. Don't know what IO cards or eSATA is.
If you want me to stop bugging you with questions. I'll understand.

That slot is for a "Add-in card". It's to provide your computer with extra capabilities should you choose to utilize it. For instance, you could add a usb card if you needed more usb ports. Or, you could add a wireless card if you needed wireless capabilities. It's to add additional features - it has nothing to do with present hardware. I hope that helps you understand it a bit better. Judging from that post you seem a little confused :p

If not, I'm sure cliffordcooley will be able to articulate an answer that helps.

Blkfx1 is correct!

The easiest way I know to explain things, is your motherboard comes with most of those features built in. However as technology advances and features become damaged, there are card slot options available for upgrade/repair.

PCI is older than PCIe, but still in use even though it is considerably slower than PCIe. I wasn't trying to confuse you with examples, sorry about that.

Practically everything built into the motherboard, also comes in the form of an add-in card. If you wish for additional features your motherboard does not provide, I'm confident you can find an add-in card to supply these features.

That slot is for a "Add-in card". It's to provide your computer with extra capabilities should you choose to utilize it. For instance, you could add a usb card if you needed more usb ports. Or, you could add a wireless card if you needed wireless capabilities. It's to add additional features - it has nothing to do with present hardware. I hope that helps you understand it a bit better. Judging from that post you seem a little confused :p

If not, I'm sure cliffordcooley will be able to articulate an answer that helps.

You're right,I am a little confused, and a lot curious. Quick question. If I installed a wireless card would I get a stronger WIFI signal than what I'm getting with the stick I'm using now? Thanks.

I think that depends on where the router is & how many walls/floors it has to go thru.
There is one floor & probably 5 or 6 walls my wifi has to go thru which is why I'm sticking with DSL.
So I don't think it'll matter.

If I installed a wireless card would I get a stronger WIFI signal than what I'm getting with the stick I'm using now? Thanks.
Wireless cards have a better chance at having better signal because of antenna quality. However not all cards are made with superior quality to USB network sticks. Without looking at the details between card and stick, a comparison would be hard to say.

There is one floor & probably 5 or 6 walls my wifi has to go thru which is why I'm sticking with DSL.
This is a bit confusing.

A LAN (Local Area Network) connection (such as Wifi or Ethernet) connects through a router to a WAN (Wide Area Network) connection (such as DSL or cable). I'm not quite following why WiFi would dictate the type of WAN used. Cable or phone line access is usually what dictates which type of WAN is used.

Wireless cards have a better chance at having better signal because of antenna quality. However not all cards are made with superior quality to USB network sticks. Without looking at the details between card and stick, a comparison would be hard to say.

This is a bit confusing.

A LAN (Local Area Network) connection (such as Wifi or Ethernet) connects through a router to a WAN (Wide Area Network) connection (such as DSL or cable). I'm not quite following why WiFi would dictate the type of WAN used. Cable or phone line access is usually what dictates which type of WAN is used.

I'm not sure what we have. I think it's DSL. I know it's not cable. I know we have a Verizon Router hooked up to the phone line. The router is all the way in the front of the mobile home. My computer is down the hall. all the way in the back of the mobile home. There is only one door between. I'm am connected wireless using a Netgear WNA 1100 Smart Wizard (stick)

A DSL plug looks very similiar to a phone plug
A DSL plug is a phone plug. DSL filters are used to filter DSL signals out of the phone line. It's my understanding the phone system had to be rebuilt, to allow for the higher frequencies of DSL before it was available to the masses.

For a long time phone companies wouldn't allow DSL without having a phone number. I've heard but don't know for certain, a phone number may not currently be required for DSL. Then again it may be dependent on the location in which you live. Allowing DSL would required bypassing phone number disconnects.

A DSL plug is a phone plug. DSL filters are used to filter DSL signals out of the phone line. It's my understanding the phone system had to be rebuilt, to allow for the higher frequencies of DSL before it was available to the masses.

For a long time phone companies wouldn't allow DSL without having a phone number. I've heard but don't know for certain, a phone number may not currently be required for DSL. Then again it may be dependent on the location in which you live. Allowing DSL would required bypassing phone number disconnects.
A DSL plug can't be a phone plug because one cannot put a phone plug in the DSL receiver on the back of the pc. They look very similiar which is why it can be confusing,but you can't do as I've said. I've tried.
Now the wires may be the same, just a different plug. If I'm incorrect, sorry.

The network port on the back of your PC is not the DSL receiver. Thats the function of the DSL modem. Once the signal is translated by the modem it becomes a local networking signal.

A DSL modem is a bridge between your LAN and the WAN. DSL modems are used to connect ISP's through a phone system. There will be at least one Ethernet port for local networking and one phone line port for connecting ISP. Routers, Switches, and Wireless Access Points are all independent features of a Local Area Network, which are independent from DSL.

Ok, I confess I don't know the technicalities of it, I just know on the back of my XP, there were two "almost" identical sockets. One phone (dial up) the other one for DSL. Obviously one can plug a phone line into the DSL & reverse, one can't plug a DSL in a phone socket.

I think DSL is what we have. I know Verizon told us we needed a phone line to hook up the router. We don't really need a land line. All 3 of us use our cell phones. but we got a phone. I'm on SSI , and social security so I put the phone in my name as I am low income, so it only costs about $7.00 a month. Verizon came in and installed something, or maybe they just plugged something into the phone jack. I never really looked at it. But we can use the phone and the Internet at the same time.

A DSL plug can't be a phone plug because one cannot put a phone plug in the DSL receiver on the back of the pc. They look very similar which is why it can be confusing,but you can't do as I've said. I've tried.
Now the wires may be the same, just a different plug. If I'm incorrect, sorry.

I think you're right. I think they are bigger. But we don't have to worry about plugging something into the back of our PCs. We are all wireless.

I think you're right. I think they are bigger. But we don't have to worry about plugging something into the back of our PCs. We are all wireless.
Wireless is ok, but I've found out DSL is better because it don't matter how many floors/walls there are, you'll still get it. I used to think wireless was really neat because it meant my tower could be portable (mobile) like a laptop. Anyhow, I have both wifi & DSL here & am on DSL.

Back