What's your avatar?

cliffordcooley

Someone on a Windows 10 Forum asked about everyone's avatar. At first I didn't think much of it but a few stories were fascinating. I want to ask the same question here on Techspot and see what the results will be.

What is your avatar and the story behind the avatar?

Mine is icons from three games:
  1. Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga (The first game I bought when I started gaming again after 10 years)
  2. Star Trek Online (The first MMO I ever played)
  3. Lord of the Rings Online (I think it was the MMO game I was playing at the time of making the Avatar)
The fact that I love Star Trek and Lord of the Rings also has a hand in it. Now that I'm not playing those MMOs, I still have a desire to keep the emblems in my Avatar. In a since being a unique creation of mine, it is a signature for me as well.

That's a Grumman F8F-1, all original Navy fighter, circa '45. Didn't see service until Korea.
upload_2017-11-22_12-8-2.jpeg

Home airfield is Camarillo, CA. Associated with the Commemorative Air Force (previously Confederate AF).

Two other notable birds at Camarillo: C-46 Condor (China Doll), last operational of this type and a A6M Zero (rare, other is in Chino)

Last edited by a moderator:
My avatar is a screenshot from my old favorite game Homeworld. I play an all salvage game and the screenshot is of my salvage corvette (on the right) capturing the enemy Taiidan's salvage corvette.

If you wanted to, you could have asked me. It's not a secret or anything. Probably the only ones who would care might be old Homeworld players and maybe not even them. :)

Last edited:
Did you know John Shell? He was an air traffic controller there from 60-63 or so.
Hi @Scodd Sorry , no I don't remember that name. I was just a crew member on the C130. The only time I flew was when hurricanes were expected in the area. We would island hope to avoid the storms. Thanks for your reply!

That's a Grumman F8F-1, all original Navy fighter, circa '45. Didn't see service until Korea.
View attachment 83736

Home airfield is Camarillo, CA. Associated with the Commemorative Air Force (previously Confederate AF).

Two other notable birds at Camarillo: C-46 Condor (China Doll), last operational of this type and a A6M Zero (rare, other is in Chino)

That plane looks similiar to what japan may have used in WW2.

No! The Zero and Val were quite different. The Zero is easily mistaken (and vise a versa) for the Texan AT6 - - but the canopy and vertical stabilizer are slightly different. The Val has fixed landing gear whereas all Grumman aircraft (Navy carrier types) have gear the folds in some manner into the wing or fuselage.

Back