Whats your comments on the following specs?

Janes

Hi I am thinking of upgrading soon, here is my choice so far:

Intel Dual-Core 3.4 ghz
1 Gig Corsair XMS Memory
Gigabyte board - GA-965P-S3
Gigabyte Geforce 8600 GTS 256 MB

Would like to hear your comments before I buy!

Ciao!

I wouldn't get the 8600GTS. It's not a very strong performer in games compared to other non-DX10 cards like the X1950PRO. You'd be better off waiting awhile for the Radeon HD midrange series to be released in a fortnight's time, since prices on the 8800GTS 320MB might drop plus you might have a lot more DX10 midrange cards from ATi that may perform better than the 8600s from NVIDIA. So wait it out for that. Otherwise, the rest of the system is fantastic. The 965P-DS3 is an excellent mobo and combined with that Corsair RAM and a Core 2 Duo processor (which is what I think you're getting, innit? :)), it'll give you an excellent machine. One question though, what are you going to be using the PC for?

I second Rage_3K_Moiz opinion. The X1950 or at least the X1900 would be better choices. Also prices have dropped so much on certain ATI cards that they could be worth it.
I would also get 2 gb of memory instead of one. If you buy the Kingston memory or Corsair memory at www.zipzoomfly.com you can sometimes save enough to get the extra Gb.

Well, as far as the specs of the 8600 GTS concerns it is a DX10 card so I dont know, I checked the ratings of the CPU which is a not a Core 2 CPU it outperfomrs certain Core2 Duo CPU's, not sure though thats why I am asking you guys, I am not really a ATI fan, I have always liked NVIDIA, so thats is ofcourse my first choice, I will later put in an extra 1 gig RAM but I think 1 gig is good for a start...

What do you think?

Well, you didn't change my mind, but it sounds like you have thought it through... and that is the important thing. I would wait unti DXC-10 is really tested, and I consider the extra gb of memory more imporatnt than the 8600GTS.
Both ATI and nVidia have had enough bad cards to overwhelm us all, but I am partial to ATI as I have seen less actual failures in our shop, than with the NVidia... reliability is more important to me than performance

The 8600GTS is DX10 sure, but it is a horrible performer as compared to other non-DX10-based cards like the ATi X1950, especially looking at the price vs performance factor. That's why I told you to wait it out. If you absolutely need it, then get it. Otherwise wait it out, since you will get a better deal that way.
Regarding the CPU, the Core 2 Duo is the fastest desktop processor out there right now, so make sure of what processor you're getting. From the looks of it, it seems to be a Pentium D which is not a good choice, since it gets really hot and does not perform very well too.

I would look into getting a core 2 duo. I know the Pentium D is cheap, but realize they are cheap for a reason. They (as said) are hot and mediocre performers.

Also another gig of ram would not hurt, although is not a vital thing.

With the video card situation, we are kind of at a transitional point, so buy the cutting edge may not be the best option. The first of any technology is always trumped quickly.
Wait or at least build the machine and stick a cheap video card in and wait it out.

Back