When should I replace my laptop?

Hi all, generally speaking, when should I replace my laptop? I have a Macbook Pro (got it in November of 2013, and I believe it was the last Macbook Pro model that had a CD input) as of now I just use it for things, like the internet, CAD modeling, or Excel Spreadsheet type-programs. Usually, I have to force quit Google Chrome about once a day, as it will freeze or crash, and it usually takes a couple minutes for the Chrome app to start up again. When I open more complex apps, like Excel or AutoCAD, it usually takes around 5 minutes for the program to open. I personally hate my computer for the sole reason that it is extremely slow at most of what it is supposed to do, but how much longer should I wait until I should replace it, or what sign should signify that my computer needs to be replaced?

Maintenance might help... cleaning out the dust, removing unwanted files, defragmenting the HDD.

Some folks would suggest more RAM and an SSD.

My Dell XPS-15 is also 2013 model. Yes ... cleaning, etc is essential.
Try running Linux instead. It can run as a "Live" operating system, from a USB FLASH STICK. How much memory: 8 or 16 GB? If it runs fast, withing complete memory, it might not be a hardware problem, but the Mac operating system.

The version of Linux to use? Ubuntu-based, such as Linux Mint, or "Zorin".

Back