Where is my bandwidth?

Mamut0o1

Good morning all,
I have notice that sometimes my PC's get very slow when downloading from internet. I have a T1 and a DSL Line. The T1 is primary use only for internal traffic between sites. The DSL line is suppose to be use only for web traffic and also as a backup in case T1 goes down. The part that I dont understand is that if someone is downloading anything from the internet it also affects T1 traffic. Can anyone please tell me how can I track down what is actually happening. If Im d/l from web why slows T1 as well?

Thanks
Mm

If I understand correctly, your LAN connects to another LAN via a T1 line. You also have local Internet access via DSL. Another assumption I have is the other LAN site has its own, local Internet connection separate from yours as well.

For decent help, I think you're going to get asked for some more information, so you might want to open up a command prompt and share this information with us:

Windows Key + R
Type: cmd and hit enter
ipconfig /all
route print
pathping google.com

After the last command, right click on the title bar of the command window, click "Select All" and right click inside the window again to copy everything to your clipboard. Paste that stuff here inside some CODE tags or attach them as a text file just so we can get a better idea of what's going on.

Depending your network configuration, I think this could be as simple as assigning the appropriate gateway address for the computers at each site... or it could be as complex as assigning router-based policies etc.. Any more information you can give us about your network(s), routers and so on could be very helpful.

If accessing the Internet slows down your LAN and vice-versa, my assumption would be that your LAN's PCs are actually utilizing the Internet provided at the OTHER site. This would tunnel Internet traffic through your T1 and would greatly reduce Internet/LAN bandwidth and performance.

It is non-trivial to get TWO connections to the Internet to operate together.

My guess would be you are starting the DSL first and it is taking all the traffic.

Test you connectivity by disconnecting the RJ11 phone link ,
disconnect the RJ45, wait 30 seconds and then reconnect.

Now watch your bandwidth.

Back