Which computer to use?

Which rig is better?

• AMD FX-4300

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DjKraid

I recently got a broken computer as payment for a data recovery project...however as it turns out the computer isn't entirely broken, it actually works fine, all I had to do was reset the bios and remove the GPU. There's only one part that was broken and that was the GPU, reason for that was overheating since the Clud3D sticker on top of the GPU wasn't in place to it has been blocking the fan from spinning as it should. Anyhow, now I have ended up with a dilemma, what computer should I use?
The specs below is what I can put together with parts that I got and with the parts that I currently use and note that the only "real" difference is the CPU.

CPU: Intel Core i7-920
MOBO: Asus P6T SE
HDD: 120Gb Kingston SSD + 320Gb + 1Tb
GPU: XFX HD7790
PSU: 750W Chieftec

CPU: AMD FX-4300 (OC @ 4.0-4.9GHz depending on the temp inside)
MOBO: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0
HDD: 120Gb Kingston SSD + 320Gb + 1Tb
GPU: XFX HD7790
PSU: 750W Chieftec

Additional Question:
- Is it possible to use both Corsair tri-channle (TR3XG1600C9) RAM at the same time as my current Kingston RAM which isn't tri-channel?
- How much can the i7 be overcloed?

Stock cooler is somewhat broken, or the bearing for the fan has seen its spins... However I have at my disposal a not so good cooler with dual fans -> Antec 620 H2O ...personally I don't like the cooler that much, it doesn't do the trick for me so when I can afford I'll go back to Noctua air coolers :)

That i7 is awesome, it can still hold up against the latest CPU's (in gaming). I run mine at 3.4GHz I believe, and I've gotten it to 3.8 easily. A decent air cooler is required though.

I don't see a need to upgrade my PC until I want to jump on the 14nm and DDR4 bandwagon.

I7 it is...even tho I have lost the socket set for the Antec cooler so I can't get the cooler to fit to the i7 rig...sucks... I'm running the i7 now at 3GHz with the stock cooler and so far it seems to be running pretty well. However, the AMD rig booted much faster for some reason...odd...

Windows shouldn't boot any faster on either.
It probably has to do with bios/UEFI/quickboot/boot priority/flashgate settings.

That might be, even tho it's been a while since I last used Intel...my last Intel rig was back in the days when Socket 478 was on the top...had an Intel Celeron something...2.4GHz... The bios on this mobo is slightly different than the ones I'm used to...

Back