Which CPU to upgrade to: i5 2500k or Skylake in same price range?

Dino Dub

Currently I own the following platform: Gigabyte p35 chipset (ga-p35-ds3l rev 2.0), e8600 C2D, 8GB DDRII,
SAPPHIRE r9 280x dualX vaporX, 250GB SAMSUNG 850EVO ssd, 2TB seagate,...

I did a lot of research if I should buy the older Sandy Bridge based platform with z77 (used ASUS, for 75$) motherboard and 8gigs of DDR3 RAM for the best gaming performance, or to go for the new Skylake z170 platform with DDR4 RAM.

Do I go for narrower upgrade path with i5-2500k - only viable update being i7 2600k or 2700k, or to be safe with 6th Intel cpu gen. for years to come? Also, I have the option of buying used i7-2600k, which is 10$ more expensive than new i5-2500k (150$). I need your help with clarifying my dilema on the new upgrade.

What is better to buy 2nd gen or 6th gen platform, in this price range, around 270$, which is required for 2nd gen (i5 2500k + z77 mobo + 8GB DDR3)?

Any other similar i5 CPU of the newer gen is at least double the price compared to i5-2500k, I found here in my country, and my budget is limited.

I think I would still go with Skylake even though the CPU would have less performance. The option to get a stronger CPU later would then be an easy upgrade. If you lock yourself into an older platform, later upgrades would require the whole platform to be replaced.

I think I would still go with Skylake even though the CPU would have less performance. The option to get a stronger CPU later would then be an easy upgrade. If you lock yourself into an older platform, later upgrades would require the whole platform to be replaced.

What's the point in that upgrade? It's easy to expect that Skylake prices won't come down so it's cheaper to buy that "upgrade" processor right away.

I'm glad you think everyone has the funds to buy what they want/need now. Sometimes it is easier to pace purchases, even if in the long run it cost more. Heck what do you think financing loans do?

I'm glad you think everyone has the funds to buy what they want/need now. Sometimes it is easier to pace purchases, even if in the long run it cost more. Heck what do you think financing loans do?

IMO upgrade always needs valid reason. Like something is not available but will be or something is available but price is too high, so wait price to get lower. In this case upgrade means using crappy dual core processor for some time and pay more.

Also, if that upgrade takes so long time that Intel has launched new socket, then it's wiser to buy new motherboard also, because LGA1151 is old stuff.

Loan is also good way to get i5/i7 immediately.

Back