Which ubuntu to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Of Mana

I am not sure on which ubuntu I should use, here's a little about me, please help me choose!

I play games very occasionally, I do some word processing (school) and have quite a few pics.

So which sould I choose

I agree with SNGX1275, the newest version 8.04 is great. However, I do find myself that, since my system is somewhat old, the GUI in the newer versions tends to bog things down a little bit.

While the newer version is nice because of the added features that improve ease of use, in the event that you are using an older system (anything less than a Pentium 4 2Ghz), I would recommend perhaps trying a slightly older version that is less demanding.

cheers!

Well.......

Windows XP. Sorry man, but that's the way it is.
The gaming isn't there with any Linux distro, and I strenuously recommend Adobe Photoshop Elements (Windows and Mac only), to edit and organize.

In spite of this, if you're going to try Ubuntu, just make sure you download the version the matches your boards BIOS & CPU. In other words, if you have an Intel CPU with EMT64 or an AMD 64 bit CPU, you need to download the 64 bit version of Ubuntu standard "Desktop CD. The latest version is 8.04LTS "Hardy Heron". Here's the download mirror list; http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors

You might also want to consider downloading Open SUSE 11.0 which was just released. http://software.opensuse.org/

There's an ongoing, "which one is better" controversy, between the Gnome (Ubuntu) desktop and Open SUSE's KDE desktop.

I don't know that I would agree captaincranky. At least not about the version types. The i386 will work on any x86 processor at or above a 386 I believe. Because of this being pretty much the standard for linux distros forever there is the most hardware and software support. If you get the 64bit versions you may still have some issues with hardware/software support. Its just like Windows 64bit editions in that respect. I'm sure it gets better every day, but if you are new to linux why take that risk for probably unnoticable speed gains.

I don't believe there is a Linux version for photoshop. Unfortunately, there is not even a Linux version of Acrobat Pro. (I want to hi-light my pdfs!)

However, there are 2 alternatives:

1) Use GIMP, which is a fairly well respected freeware replacement for photoshop, and I believe comes with Ubuntu.

2) Use Wine, which is a Windows emulator that runs in Linux, to run an emulated version of Photoshop. (Taken from the Wikipedia website: "In January 2008, the Wine project announced official support for Photoshop CS2, allowing the Windows version of Photoshop CS2 to be used on Linux and other Unix platforms.")

Hope this helps! Linux at times can be a very frustrating but also very rewarding experience :)

think_guru said:
I don't believe there is a Linux version for photoshop. Unfortunately, there is not even a Linux version of Acrobat Pro. (I want to hi-light my pdfs!)
There isn't

think_guru said:
However, there are 2 alternatives:

1) Use GIMP, which is a fairly well respected freeware replacement for photoshop, and I believe comes with Ubuntu.
GIMP does come with Ubuntu. Only Photoshop & PSE support adjustment layers, which are actually the best feature of all Photoshop editing features. They're non-destructive and use very little memory. When you dupe an actual (or normal) layer, you double the file size!
think_guru said:
2) Use Wine, which is a Windows emulator that runs in Linux, to run an emulated version of Photoshop. (Taken from the Wikipedia website: "In January 2008, the Wine project announced official support for Photoshop CS2, allowing the Windows version of Photoshop CS2 to be used on Linux and other Unix platforms.")
PS CS2, is still $600.00 dollars. However it isn't actually current, as Photoshop is now on CS3. Wine (to my knowledge), won't run Photoshop Elements 4,5, or 6, which is only $100.00 at retail, and given away (PSE-4) with certain scanners & printers.

I would have to say either 8.10 or 7.04, which was the first one I used and I still have it on my desktop, altough 8.10 works very well also

For gaming, Windows is your best bet no doubt....however, if you want to use Ubuntu and are worried about having any type of problems I would suggest using a LTS (Long Term Support) so you can have Cannonical help you for a few years. However, if stablility is not a big concern, go for the latest and greatest.

Just my 2 cents

PS - I use Ubuntu Hardy Heron 64 bit and love it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back