Which video card should I get?

georgetok

I am getting a new Dell PC with following Configuration & need Help in choosing a Video Card.

I am going to use 55 inch LED TV as my monitor so I can do regular computing as well as use it
as a Home Theater PC.

I am not going to use it for gaming at all.

Most of my applications are stocks & Commodities charting graphics applications & do require intense computing power & Powerful CPUs & lots of RAM is recommended.
Most of the people use multi monitors, upto 12 monitors. But where I am located, I can't get those multimonitor cards & if I import them, then there is no support for it or replacement possible. So I chose the route of 55 inch TV as a monitor in which I can bring up 8 charts in one screen instead of 8 monitors.

Intel Core i-7 2600 Sandy Bridge ( 3.4 GHz ) Processor

8 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz

Windows -7 Ultimate ( 64 bit )

500 GB Sata 3.0Gb/s HDD

Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi™ Xtreme Audio

Hauppauge® WinTV-HVR-1200 Hybrid Analog/Digital TV Tuner

I have to choose one of the following 2 video cards :

1 GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT420 as default video card.

1 GB ATI® Radeon™ HD5770 Graphics Card for Extra $ 100.00

Should I pay $ 100.00 extra for Radeon HD 5770 ? If yes, What will it do that NVIDIA won't ?

Thank You.

I

I am going to use 55 inch LED TV as my monitor so I can do regular computing as well as use it
as a Home Theater PC.

I am not going to use it for gaming at all.

Most of my applications are stocks & Commodities charting graphics applications & do require intense computing power & Powerful CPUs & lots of RAM is recommended.
Most of the people use multi monitors, upto 12 monitors. But where I am located, I can't get those multimonitor cards & if I import them, then there is no support for it or replacement possible. So I chose the route of 55 inch TV as a monitor in which I can bring up 8 charts in one screen instead of 8 monitors.
This is all well and good, but the maximum resolution of your TV is still 1920 x 1080. This is no greater than a single comparable computer monitor of 22" or more. Point being, you may get the 8 graphs on the screen, but at 1/8 the resolution of the 8 monitor setup. I'm fairly sure this will look pretty shabby. But whether or not it will be readable, I'm not certain.

Should I pay $ 100.00 extra for Radeon HD 5770 ? If yes, What will it do that NVIDIA won't ?
The integrated graphics associated with the I7-2600 would actually do the job of a HTPC, without an add-in card. So, why they're not being offered could only be explained, if the PC motherboard doesn't support the onboard video! For most intents and purposes, the Sandy Bridge video compares favorably with GT-420.

Anyway, you could buy a Radeon HD 5770 for about a hundred bucks anyway: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3&cm_re=Radeon_HD_5770-_-14-121-363-_-Product Why throw away the free GT-420 when you could buy the new card outright and stuff it in later if you need to.

The only reason I would buy the 5770 is if you were going to implement, (IMO) a more sensible approach, with a computer monitor and the TV for entertainment tasks.

No matter what video solution you choose, you won't get more than 1920 x 1080 resolution out of the TV period. Something to think about.

Back