Whole computer lags

lcarter89

Hi everyone, hope this is the right place to post this problem.

I have built myself a PC and am having a problem with the whole PC lagging. By this I mean that the video/game is jumpy, sound skips and has a stretched out brrrr sound to it and the mouse is very jumpy when moving it around screen.

This seems to mainly just happen when playing games or when watching a video either on the hard drive or youtube for example.

Reinstalling the OS has not helped. I believe it is a hardware problem. If i had the money I would just switch them out till I found which part it was but I don't, so need to pin point the problem hardware.

There is plenty of RAM and CPU Usage is not overloaded when it happens. Temperatures are fine. Could it be the Graphics Card?

Any help would be much appreciated, here are my specs:

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
ASUS P8P67 Pro Intel P67 Rev 3
Intel Core i5-2500k CPU @ 3.30GHz (Stock, not OC)
Zaward Vapor120 CPU Cooler
GeForce GTX 470 Super Overclock
8GB Patriot G2 Division 2 Edit RAM
Coolermaster HAF 912 Plus Case
Corsair 650W TX Series PSU - 120mm Fan, 80+% Efficiency, Single +12V Rail
Samsung SH-S223L 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM with LightScribe SATA Optical Drive
Tenda Wireless-N300 PCI Adapter
Black 3.5" Bay Internal Card Reader with SIM and IR

Please let me know if you have any advice, ideas or need any more information.

Thank You.

First thing I would check is that you have everything set correctly in your Bios, especially the voltage and frequency for the RAM.

and make sure u have the latest video card drivers.. i had the same problem a few years ago and updating the video card drivers fixed it completelly go to windows update and search for new updates

I think it powers it all fine. is there any way of checking that it is being powered ok? I have disabled the wireless connection as I now have a network cable going to the pc and that seems to have stopped the problem, although I don't know why it would, I wasn't always online when problem occurred. Maybe I've just been lucky and it hasn't happened for the last couple of days but usually it's pretty common so hopefully its fixed.

Are you outputting to a TV or monitor? I remember reading somewhere that when the resolution of the TV & video card don't match, there might be issue w/ video & sound.

Thanks for the reply, am using a monitor so hopefully shouldn't be any compatibility issues there. Have had another day without issue today so I think there must be some fault with the wireless card I was using.

Back