Why so little reporting on FTX?

Plutoisaplanet

Why is there so little reporting on FTX?

I know it's still a developing situation and there's probably a reason for not posting something yet, but the fiasco around FTX is huge and will be developing for years to come. That said, I can only find a total of one news article about this written almost a week ago: https://www.techspot.com/news/96611...ing-seismic-shockwaves-throughout-crypto.html

The only other article mentioning it was written by a guest editor which was not even about crypto or FTX specifically and they still felt the need to reference the situation. Many of the commenters on this site have doubts about crypto (especially NFTs), and this is certainly a topic of interest by your readers. I've always felt TechSpot has been pretty balanced with its news reporting by focusing on the facts and letting readers share opinions/conclusions, and obviously not all the facts are known about this whole situation. That said, I'm sure that TechSpot can easily at least do a good job with reporting the events that have played out. This is huge in the tech industry with at least $8 billion in wealth destroyed affecting possibly over a million unique creditors owed money in the bankruptcy case. The fact that there's a number of high profile figures/institutions involved makes it more important to report.

I can think of a number of reasons to answer my question: if there's a WIP article not yet published, you don't have a writer comfortable with taking this on, you're concerned/preparing for the amount of moderation from inevitable arguments that'll come afterwards, you're waiting on more information to be released. It just feels like TechSpot has avoided writing anything since Binance canned talks of acquiring FTX, FTX filed for bankruptcy, hundreds of million of dollars worth of tokens were stolen from FTX users, and SBF's ongoing bizarre behavior.

Why is there so little reporting on FTX?

You've been a TechSpot reader for a long time so you know crypto in general is not at the core of our coverage. There are other sites that fully dedicate their time to it and probably do a great job of covering the daily happenings.

Now, when the FTX story broke we did cover it as you mention and we followed up this week with a guest post that tangentially touches on how relevant it is from a "technology" perspective. Case in point, in my personal opinion, the FTX fiasco is a big story, but it's more a financial/scam story than it is tech.

But like you said, the whole thing is still developing, and if we write more about it it will be because our authors find it relevant in a given day rather than we'll be pursuing more FTX/crypto stories to cover (which we generally don't).

Back