Why won't my computer go online?

I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 2-in-1 laptop that, until a few days ago, connected to my Wi-Fi perfectly fine. Now, it will connect to a network but if it does, it will only show a "limited" connection. This is really pissing me off, and restarting the computer and letting it update did absolutely nothing! I tried getting it to forget the network and I reconnected but still nothing. Please, why won't my computer connect to the internet? Anything else on the same Wi-Fi network works fine, it's just my computer.

This might be due to below possibilities.
  1. Check the DNS Settings. If you are able to access internet on any other devices, then check DNS settings on your laptop first. Use any of the Top 2 DNS[IPv4 & IPv6 variants] below for better speed & reliability.
    1. VeriSign Public IPv4 DNS - 64.6.64.6; 64.6.65.6
    2. OpenDNS[Cisco] IPv4 DNS - 208.67.222.222; 208.67.220.220
    3. VeriSign Public IPv6 DNS - 2620:74:1b::1:1; 2620:74:1c::2:2
    4. OpenDNS[Cisco] IPv6 DNS - https://www.opendns.com/about/innovations/ipv6/
  2. Your ISP limits number of connections or new connections. Or your modem/router might be configured to limit connections.
  3. You are only checking the connection between modem and router but didn't check whether your modem is connected to internet.
  4. Check the cables and reconnect it. If using modem + WiFi router, please try the below.
    1. Power off modem, router and disable WiFi/unplug LAN on all devices which are already using it.
    2. Remove the cable between modem and router.
    3. Turn on modem and router.
    4. Wait for few mins, this duration is the time it takes to connect to internet usually.
    5. Now, connect the cable between modem & router.
    6. Wait for 1-2 mins and check whether you are able to access internet.
  5. If you still unable to access internet, check if you have installed the correct network drivers.
Once you check all these, pls report the status here to get more help.

Last edited:
For the first thing, I'm not sure how to get to DNS settings on my computer. I know I have seen it before but I just don't know where to look for it.
And for #3, if the modem wasn't connected, wouldn't that mean that no device could access the intern to through that Wi-Fi?

Other than that, I will have to have my dad, who's office it it all located in, attempt the other options.

And I just tried Windows Netqord Diagnostics and this came up:

Investigate router or broadband modem issues
If you're connected to a hotspot or domain network, contact the network administrator. Otherwise:
1. Unplug or turn off the device.
2. After all the lights on the device are off, wait at least 10 seconds.

Please tell your version of Windows to help you with accessing DNS settings.
#3.... Yes, you're right. None can access internet if the modem is not connected to internet

In that case, there may be a firewall stopping access to internet. Please ask you dad/whoever is IT admin to get you access, if they have permission to get you access legally.

Windows Diagnostics is a dummy and you won't get correct problem details and the reason behind it. Their workaround doesn't help with this issue too.

I have Windows 10 currently, and I don't see why he couldn't, at least when he gets the chance. It is our own in home Wi-Fi.

Okay, that's definitely good to know, thanks

In Windows 10, follow the steps to change IPv4 DNS settings:
  1. Right click the Start menu, then select 'Network Connections'
  2. Right click on the network connection/adapter you're using and select 'Properties'
  3. Highlight 'Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)' and click Properties
  4. Click the radio button 'Use the following DNS server addresses:' and type in DNS' addresses in the Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server fields
  5. Click the 'OK' button, then the 'Close' button, then 'Close' again. Finally, close the 'Network Connections' window
  6. Disable and enable the network connection/adapter for settings to take effect.
In Windows 10, follow the steps to change IPv6 DNS settings:
  1. Right click the Start menu, then select 'Network Connections'
  2. Right click on the network connection/adapter you're using and select 'Properties'
  3. Highlight 'Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)' and click Properties
  4. Click the radio button 'Use the following DNS server addresses:' and type in DNS' addresses in the Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server fields
  5. Click the 'OK' button, then the 'Close' button, then 'Close' again. Finally, close the 'Network Connections' window
  6. Disable and enable the network connection/adapter for settings to take effect.
  7. Please not that if you use OpenDNS IPv6, then read this first

Last edited:
What's broke?
Computer connects to router by wifi. Router radio is on, password works, etc (proof? other computers can connect - right?) so it isn't likely to be the router.

What's left?
The computer. Lets narrow it down some more. Can you connect to router with an RJ45 cable? Can you get to the internet on the wired connection? If you can, then it may be that you have a broken component, the wireless adapter. Before we rush off, just make sure that the password to connect with the router is correct.

If it is, then download (on another computer) and install http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html on your system and on another for comparison.
Run it on both... same info? No info on yours? If the latter, then consider replacing your wireless adapter.

I can connect to the network, but it shows up as a limited connection, so it won't let me connect to the internet. I can connect to the network itself just fine, just not to the internet through it. I will, when I get the chance now that I'm thinking of it, see if it can connect to my phone's hot spot without a limited connection.

Backup/make note of any manual changes which you made to modem & router settings/firewall and reset the modem/router and try to create a new connection, which might solve the problem.

Back