Wi-Fi not working "can't renew IP address"

I have a laptop 05' toshiba sattelite with xp, I have a cable modem connected to a Belkin 3236 wireless router I know the router works because I use my PS3 with it a lot, however I have tried to connect at my buddy's house and could only get it to work there for about 3 seconds after trying for hours. It says there is no problem with the wireless card and it has an excellent signal. Every time I try to connect or repair the connection it says "Windows can not renew IP address". I've tried a lot. I am by no means a computer wizz but I'm not dumb and sorry if i'm not good with the computer lingo. Please help if you can this has been a huge pain in the ***** for me. I searched this site for info on a similar problem and found some. I did the cmd, ipconfig/release, then ipconfig/renew and it seemed to work i was holding my breathe in excitement cause it sad you are now connect to belkin 3236 excellent signal,... but no same thing when i tried to connect...booo

a) google for disable ipv6 and follow the instructions (or use the FixIt) for your version of Windows {XP, Vista, Win7}. Then reboot.

b) google for the drivers to your wired NIC and WiFi adapters - - download and install as appropriate.

Thank you very much for responding I appreciate the help. I did what you said and found the link on google. Mine doesn't have or I didn't see a IP version 6, I did see a (Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)
however it is not installed.. My wireless has been giving me a new reason "Validating I dentity" And after about 2 hours
"Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you in"

I found what you were talking about but it is not installed. Yhis is what shows up on the wireless network connections
Client service for netware-is installed, box is checked
client for Microsoft Networks-is installed, box checked
NWLink NetBIOS-not installed, box is checked
NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatibale Transport Protocol- is installed, checked
Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)-is installed, checked

Back