WiFi AC news leak from ASUS

VitalyT

A little a while ago I made a post here about my new PC, which is the new Haswell platform, and that among other things I bought ASUS PCI-AC66 WiFi ac card, which was supposed to be a kick-a$$ at 1300Mbit/s data rate.

That product turned out to be simply non-functional on any Haswell chipset, and ASUS is rushing out an update, on which there is no information on the internet yet, so I wanted to post it here, which came from an ASUS engineer.

According to that engineer, ASUS is about to release PCI-AC68 WiFi ac card, which will offer at least two things:

1. Rectify all issues for Haswell products.
2. Unconfirmed, but looks like it will bump the speed to 1900Mbit/s, in line with the other AC68 product they just released - RT AC-68U

I was advised to wait for about one month till it appears on amazon.com and then ask for exchange to my AC66 that's currently sitting idle.

EDITED: For any admin who reads it, feel free to move this post over to the Networking section ;)

Why does it not work with Haswell? That is quite odd.

According to some people who had the same trouble, there is a hardware-level conflict between Intel Z87 and the chipset used in AC66. I can't say that I'm buying it completely, but ASUS didn't suggest waiting for any driver update, which suggests the rumored conflict must be true...

Also, I saw the same problems on both Windows 7 and Windows 8. In the meantime, there were many people who bought AC66 and were very happy about it, reporting no problem. What was common among all those happy users - none of them had a Haswell system.

I was one of the first unhappy ones who bought it for Haswell just before the negative reviews started pouring in, and discovered the problem the hard way...

Today I had another official confirmation from ASUS stating that they recognize the compatibility problem between AC66 and Z87, advising me to wait for two weeks till the new AC68 hits the shelves, so I can swap it.

Today I had another official confirmation from ASUS stating that they recognize the compatibility problem between AC66 and Z87, advising me to wait for two weeks till the new AC68 hits the shelves, so I can swap it.

Good luck.

Back