WiFi is SUPER slow on 1 of 3 PCs

By Captain Dizle ยท 9 replies
Jun 28, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. Hello everyone I've got a tough one..

Custom PC with Nighthawk R8000 router. EnGenius wireless adapter.

Here's the deal. Speed test only gets to around 2Mbps on my custom PC but when I plug it into my wife's custom using the same network adapter it goes up to 150+ Mbps. Obviously, something is up with my PC. Just did a factory reset last month. Just ran the network CMD lines with no luck, I haven't the faintest what could be going wrong, please help.

have updated firmware
    have updated drivers
    have removed firewalls

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 10,545   +819

Which version of windows & what antivirus are you running?

3. Captain Dizle

Captain Dizle TS Rookie Topic Starter

Windows 10 with Avast Antivirus freeware

4. Inkbone

Inkbone TS Rookie

What model is your EnGenius wireless adapter? is it USB? Are the ports usb 3.0? usb 2.0?

5. jobeard

Win/10 WiFi issues have frequently been solved by getting the latest driver from the Chip maker's website - - NOT using windows update BTW.

6. Captain Dizle

engenius eub1200ac yes I have both 3.0 and 2.0

7. Inkbone

Inkbone TS Rookie

I had a similar problem. I had to change the encryption method on the router from wpa2+aes to wpa+tkip. I was able to get higher speeds but it also means lower security for everyone on the network. Im guessing certain usb ports dont handle the encryption well? Im not sure why but it worked for me.

8. Captain Dizle

The only thing is that it works just fine on another pc. so would it really be the encryption?

9. jobeard

Not IMO -- see my previous comment

10. Inkbone

Inkbone TS Rookie

Yea since it works fine on another PC that is using the same router then I would agree on it being the drivers. I would just make sure the router is configured correctly just to make sure.