WiGig finishes short-range, high-speed wireless standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

It's been a while since we first heard from the Wireless Gigabit Alliance (WiGig), but the group backed by wireless heavy hitters including Intel, Broadcom and Atheros has now delivered their first unified 60GHz specification as promised. The new wireless standard supports data transfer rates of up to 7Gbps within a 10-meter range -- more than ten times faster than 802.11n -- while remaining backwards compatible with current technology.

For distances greater than 10 meters the network will automatically switch to Wi-Fi at the speed of 600 megabits per second, just like traditional 802.11n, with a range of 100 meters. The 7Gbps figure represents the theoretical maximum speed, of course, but the technology is said to be so efficient that users should be able to use at least 80 percent of that bandwidth in real world scenarios.

The completed specification is ready for member review and will be made available to more than 25 WiGig adopter members in Q1 2010. Competing technologies include Wireless High Definition Interface (WHDI), which also completed its standard this week, as well as Wireless HD and the Wi-Fi Alliance's own 802.11AD standard.

Permalink to story.

Unless my internet connection gets much faster i personally don't see much use for this. Even with Fios my 802.11g network is more then fast enough. Of course i am not streaming HD video around my home.

That 7Gbps over a 30 foot range is some sort of smokin' hot speed. Be interesting to see if it really pans out.

I'd be happy if I could just get the 300Mbps that was advertised for 802.11n. Even right next to the access point, can't get connected at over 130Mbps and actual file transfers seem even slower (like 50Mbps).

ken777 said:
I'd be happy if I could just get the 300Mbps that was advertised for 802.11n. Even right next to the access point, can't get connected at over 130Mbps and actual file transfers seem even slower (like 50Mbps).

Same issue here. I have one of the top rated 802.11n routers, and I'm convinced 300Mbps is just a fantasy number they came up with to sell more routers. Grats on winning the contest the other day Ken.

Now this is going to really good if it can replace bluetooth. With those speed you won't have to a lot just to transfer a song or something bigger, like a movie.

I have a Buffalo N300 and I get the full 300 (drops to 270 sometimes) with a wall in between.

Guest said:
I have a Buffalo N300 and I get the full 300 (drops to 270 sometimes) with a wall in between.
i suppose u r referring to the connection speed on the router page..but at the user end connection speed definitely never exceed 130mbps and like ken777 said,real world throughput is around 50-60mbps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back