Will 'Call Of Duty: Ghosts' top 'GTA V' as the fastest-selling game ever?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

call duty ghosts sales top billion call of duty sales gta 5 call of duty ghosts

The latest release in the Call of Duty franchise has banked more than $1 billion in sales in the first 24 hours of its release according to Activision. The title was released for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii U and the PC at midnight Tuesday morning in 15,000 stores across the globe and will be a launch title for both the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4.

So does that mean Call of Duty: Ghosts has overtaken the title of fastest to reach $1 billion in sales from Grand Theft Auto V? Well, no… not yet anyway. If you recall, GTA V managed to generate $800 million in sales in the first day but with Ghosts, the $1 billion figure is referring to copies that Activision sold to stores, not the actual number of games sold to customers.

It’s entirely possible that Ghosts hasn’t outsold GTA V but we likely won’t have a solid answer for another few days as Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick said it’s too early to assess sell-through (games sold to customers). He did note, however, that it’s launching at a time when the franchise has never been more popular.

Given the two new consoles on the horizon, there’s little doubt that it’ll be another blockbuster in terms of overall sales. And with six platforms versus just two for GTA V, Ghosts stands a good chance of bringing in more dough over the long haul.

Permalink to story.

Call me a skeptic, but GTA5 reviews were glowing where CoD:Ghosts reviews are somewhat lackluster. People are claiming that Ghosts is gorgeous but didn't bring enough to the table to separate it from previous versions. For that very reason I think Ghosts sales wont be as stellar, I don't think that it's going to top GTA5 which was a terrific game design and story.

I've never played either CoD or GTA before. And the GTA reviews were enough to convince me to pick up a copy and give it a try. I don't see that happening with CoD:G.

But if Ghosts does well for the PC it'll be harder for the game studios to ignore the PC market with their big titles. Even if you're not a fan of COD, it may be worth hoping it sells well to prove there's money in the PC market.

This is an honest question, lets say COD get close to GTAV numbers , how do we know that what he reports in a few days are not inflated numbers, how does the press or whoever makes sure this reports are accurate?

This is an honest question, lets say COD get close to GTAV numbers , how do we know that what he reports in a few days are not inflated numbers, how does the press or whoever makes sure this reports are accurate?

The sad thing is, this should not happen but there is a high chance it will (If not now, when the Xbox ONE and PS4 versions come it will). Comparing it to GTA V, there is no comparison, GTA V is a superior well designed and overall better game where as CoD is a Copy Paste Franchise living off the success of one game.

The sad thing is, they didn't break records like before ( at least that we have heard) first day which has restored some of my faith in the gamer community again. However, due to the fact that kids play this game so heavily and parents let the kids play it the sales sky rocket up just on that alone. Most mature gamers are done with CoD or waiting for one that actually seems like effort was put into it with some real improvement. But at the moment, Activision is satisfied with selling something that is easy to develop and costs a low amount because its going to sell for the name if nothing else.

I picked it up last night. Save yourself $60 and stay away. Last cod I bought was cod4. I knew I would never like another cod as much as cod4, but jeez is this a terrible game. Should picked up bf4 instead, but I read that it isn't without problems either.

Friend had call of duty ghosts for 5 hours after that he was already selling it he thought hed try it though as always the game is to generic and nothing much different if ur not a die hard fan forget the game.thats my opinion everyone has his

The article is misleading.

Activision has shipped $1 billion worth into retail, not to actual gamers like GTA V.

I don't understand why everyone here is so upset by CoD. I personally dislike GTA and even though it's a better quality game persay I would pick CoD any day because I'm a shooter fan. Since CoD: Ghosts is currently the best shooter out there (BF4 for current gen is kind of lame) I think it's a great deal. Plus the new extinction mode is really fun.

No surprise..CoD isnt garbage, Its just not as good as the originals. GTA was overly ignorant and flat out the same thing as all the others on a much larger scale also not garbage. With the vast array of systems as well as DLC's CoD should make more in the long run, but really........who cares. Both are Addicting for awhile. or until the next new thing is out.

I don't understand why everyone here is so upset by CoD. I personally dislike GTA and even though it's a better quality game persay I would pick CoD any day because I'm a shooter fan. Since CoD: Ghosts is currently the best shooter out there (BF4 for current gen is kind of lame) I think it's a great deal. Plus the new extinction mode is really fun.
people are mad about cod because it is one of the biggest money makers in the industry but shares nothing with the games that made it famous in the first place. Cod 2&4 put it on the map. Was was meh and everything after was garbage with each iteration being an over priced map pack.

Sadly this is what happens when the mouth breathers start to take over.

They wouldn't know what a good game was if it slapped them in the face.

The COD fan boys are no different than the Isheep that camp out infront of the store for the next shiney I gadget.

I've lost faith in the general public but not us the master computer race lol

I picked it up last night. Save yourself $60 and stay away. Last cod I bought was cod4. I knew I would never like another cod as much as cod4, but jeez is this a terrible game. Should picked up bf4 instead, but I read that it isn't without problems either.

I've been playing BF4 since launch day, they released their 7th server update recently and it is MUCH better now, servers are not crashing, your not losing any of your stats anymore and Queuing on servers is working fine, overall it is now a decent game, some servers seem to be getting quite bad lag issues (ping is fine, it seems they are a tad overloaded) however you can get round this by simply going to another server, Main issues left are client crashes, Sound disappearing (this is much rarer now though after several patches already) and really bad flickering when you die in a vehicle (they are already working on a patch to be released in the next 2 weeks).

I didn't get CoD:G but my friend did, he pointed this out to me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E82ZkHTiVU

Yep, that's right, they properly copied and Pasted this time round, Graphics are nothing special and when you consider the fact that the system requirements are higher than BF4's, they clearly couldn't be arsed to program it properly either.

It is genuinely a shame CoD has such a following still all these years later of the same thing over and over again...

I still have CoD:2 installed, in my opinion, that is when CoD died, when it stopped being WWII. God I miss my WWII games...

Nevertheless it seems this time around CoD has had much more improvements over its rival BF4. However, anything is a big step-up from the **** they had previously. But as Burty has said, I miss WW2 games as well. RIP COD

Il be passing both games since they haven't captured me as a gamer enough to warrant a purchase. GTA V on other hand il wait for the PC version. Few other games on the horizon which I am looking forward to such as Destiny, GTA V PC, The Division, some space flying game, EQN, Watch Dogs, The Crew and probably few other titles.

On-Topic, I doubt COD will out sell GTA V.

Back