Will Windows 8 be a touch screen OS

circusboy01

I think I read somewhere that windows 8 was going to be touch screen. If this is true. Will we be able to use the monitors we have now? Or, will we have to buy special monitors with touch screen capabilities?

I think I read somewhere that windows 8 was going to be touch screen. If this is true. Will we be able to use the monitors we have now? Or, will we have to buy special monitors with touch screen capabilities?
Windows 8 will still have the capability to operate without touch screen. However if you want to take advantage of touch screen technology, you will need to have a touch screen capable monitor.

If your wanting to run with touch screen technology, your going to have to look for things like the following....

Planar PXL2430MW 24in Class Widescreen LED Backlit Multi-Touch Monitor
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1518415&CatId=1449

A little bit heavier of a price tag compared to identical non-touch screen monitors in it's class.

I'm really not thinking about getting a W 8 at this time. Just finding out what I will have to buy, sometime in the future, when Microsoft stops support for W 7./ Before I would buy a W 8 I would want to look at input from a lot of people who have used them. To see if they are worth the cost. Thanks for the link.

Windows 8 will still have the capability to operate without touch screen. However if you want to take advantage of touch screen technology, you will need to have a touch screen capable monitor.

Thanks. Good to know I will have a choice. I see on Zens post that they have Touch Screens for sale. I guess that means W 8 is out, Or is just a pre- W 8 sale? Thanks.

Thanks. Good to know I will have a choice. I see on Zens post that they have Touch Screens for sale. I guess that means W 8 is out, Or is just a pre- W 8 sale? Thanks.
You can use touch screens with any OS as long as there are drivers for the touch screen to work with the OS. It may not be the easiest to work with but you can use touch screens as an additional pointing device.

Your welcome! And remember touch screens such as monitors are basically in their infancy, down the road, when this whole Windows 8 and touch screen thing really takes off, there more than likely will be tons more touch monitors on the market, so when ever it is that you think your ready for it, there will be tons to choose from, possibly some that are cheaper!

I'm really not thinking about getting a W 8 at this time. Just finding out what I will have to buy, sometime in the future, when Microsoft stops support for W 7.
Considering how long they supported XP for, it's going to be a loooooong time before they stop supporting 7.

learninmypc - there is a pretty extensive Windows 8 discussion stickied in this Windows OS forum. If you have some time, it may be worth skimming through just to see some discussion/friendly debate on what people like and don't like based on the consumer and release previews.

It may be worth pointing out that from an ergonomic point of view, touch screens are an absolute rubbish way of doing many common things. Think if you had to spend most of your working life with one arm in the air......makes RSI caused by a mouse look a minor headache. So maybe you would have to put the screen flat on a desk just to make it accessible to your fingers, ? What a stupid idea !

So why is MS doing this daft thing? Because touch-screen operation is actually much easier on mobile-phone sized gadgets is the hidden answer. In short, MS sees the future of computing as based upon small, portable devices, like say Kindle readers. (Tablet computers)

All we power users who spend time with 'big-iron' type applications - we wont be doing so on a pocket device, NO SIR. Microsoft and it's constant desire to invent the big boys toy just leaves me stone cold. But hey, I've only been in computing since 1966 so what would I know about it ?

Back