William Shatner has become the oldest person to reach space

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? William Shatner has officially become the oldest person to reach space following Blue Origin’s successful launch and landing of New Shepard NS-18 just moments ago. The historic flight was originally scheduled for one day earlier on October 12 but was postponed until today due to heavy winds expected in the area. No such winds were present at liftoff on Wednesday.

Today’s launch was streamed live online the Internet and witnessed by hundreds of thousands of viewers. NS-18 blasted off from Launch Site One in West Texas and just over four minutes later, all four astronauts – Audrey Powers, Chris Boshuizen, Glen de Vries and William Shatner – were able to unstrap from their harnesses and experience weightlessness.

Blue Origin’s New Shepard rocket successfully completed its fourth mission, landing safely in the upright position without incident. The crew capsule followed a few minutes later, safely delivering the passengers back to solid ground. We didn’t get any interior shots of the crew as they experienced weightlessness, but with any luck, Blue Origin will release footage or photos soon.

The mission was Blue Origin’s second crewed spaceflight. The first took place back in July as Blue Origin sent founder Jeff Bezos to space along with the youngest astronaut ever (Oliver Daemen at age 18) and the oldest at the time (Wally Funk, age 82). Shatner, who is 90, has taken that distinction from Funk with today’s successful flight.

Friends and family were on hand to welcome the crew back to Earth, as was Bezos himself.

Permalink to story.

Message from the Klingons: yapbej. SuvwI' rur qeylIS qa' 'e' vIHar.
Translation: James t. Kirk was an imposter.
Definitely Klingon, but the web translators don't agree with your translation
Web translator translation: Enough. I think Kahless Spirit like Kahless
;)
I don't understand this news, because Kirk was many years the captain of the Enterprise. What's all this fuss about his reaching the space today?
I have to agree. Captain of a starship on a TV show does not an astronaut make. I wonder if Shatner paid for the trip or if Bezos just did this as a publicity stunt? I would be somewhat surprised if Bezos did it out of the goodness of his heart.

I have to agree. Captain of a starship on a TV show does not an astronaut make. I wonder if Shatner paid for the trip or if Bezos just did this as a publicity stunt? I would be somewhat surprised if Bezos did it out of the goodness of his heart.
Exactly what "goodness" do you imagine Bezos has in his heart to begin with?..

I'm frankly surprised he didn't put the Amazon "smile" on the side of the booster, and broadcast how well Amazon treats their employees while they were up.

On the technical side, and as much as I loathe Elon Musk, Space-X (**) is "light years ahead", of Bezos and his "dildocket.".

For the record, "Blue Origin", isn't very far removed from NASA's, "let's shoot a chimp down range and see if it survives", seminal exploits.

(**) Space-X, a company which somehow "luckily" fell heir to most of NASA's technical information.

Last edited:
Exactly what "goodness" do you imagine Bezos has in his heart to begin with..
Sarcasm, obviously. I did know that people such as yourself would spot the obvious irony.
I'm frankly surprised he didn't put the Amazon "smile" on the side of the booster, and broadcast how well Amazon treats their employees while they were up.
Since Bezos gave up the command of Amazon, he would probably want to be paid for advertising. 🤣
On the technical side, and as much as I loathe Elon Musk, Space-X (**) is "light years ahead", of Bezos and his "dildocket.".
Personally, I don't know about that. The companies are both headed by Jack A$$es. :laughing:
For the record, "Blue Origin", isn't very far removed from NASA's, "let's shoot a chimp down range and see if it survives", seminal exploits.

(**) Space-X, a company which somehow "luckily" fell heir to most of NASA's technical information.
Well, both of them have access to NASA's patents - for free. Blame NASA's commercial space initiative.

Personally, I don't know about that. The companies are both headed by Jack A$$es. :laughing:
As much as am loathe to admit any of this, I did watch the live launch of Space-x' "Inspiration" orbital civilian mission.

The commentary was spot on, to the extent where they explained exactly when the igniter tanks were filled (LOX), Which was almost at the very end of the countdown.

Another Ballzy aspect, was they had cameras attached to the booster, which followed it down to a successful recovery on a barge in the sea.

"Sadly", (see if you can spot the sarcasm there), I was duly impressed with the whole "Endeavor,", (a pun added for good measure).

NASA is spending the same amount of money they ever did, (a guess on my part), it's just that it's "off budget", which makes their poop not stink so bad, in a manner of speaking.

Last edited:
What he said afterwards, with tears in his eyes was just amazing to watch him "speechless"

I just wish everyone had an opportunity to do what he and others have done. To see the beauty
of God's creation from above. Perhaps if we could get politicians and leaders from around the world to see Earth from "the vaccum of space" perhaps we could find a way to all get along and live on this little blue marble.

"WOW! The head is so big!"

Feel free to tell me I'm a dreamer, but I get the feeling it is built the way it is for strength.
Like, say, if the booster exploded, the capsule could take the hit and come back home.

"WOW! The head is so big!"

Feel free to tell me I'm a dreamer, but I get the feeling it is built the way it is for strength.
Like, say, if the booster exploded, the capsule could take the hit and come back home.
OTOH, if they built they built the booster to the same diameter as the head, (sorry I meant "capsule"), then it wouldn't be so patently lewd, lascivious, and obviously. phallic. This would not harm the aerodynamics, since it has little to none to begin with..

As it stands, it could be just Bezos thumbing his nose at those of the "Feminazi", and, "Me Too" movements, who believe that's the head with which most men think. (I know that's the one I used to use, before I became such an old fart).

After all, Bezos was recently divorced, and what better pick up line could a single man have other than, "hey baby, you wanna go for a ride in my dilldocket"? "The ride is about 10 minutes long. (double entendre exaggeration pun intended). "If we started when the booster lights, we could have the best, 'splash down' ever". "BTW, did I tell you that I still have billions and billions of dollars in the bank"?

Last edited:
I am sure all the starving poor out there in the world are looking up hoping, it would be so nice to get some food.... but lets be happy that they can fly in a penis shaped rocket to outer space and achieve nothing to help those on earth ..... amazing the space in their heads about as amazing as outer space, blank, dark and void....

Shatner's ticket was comped by Bezos. Which is likely why he played it up so big when he came down. People are predicting that Bezos might make a commercial out of it.

Back